Author Topic: mordheim megabattle  (Read 4891 times)

skavengear

mordheim megabattle
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
ive been pondering the idea for a while now:
empire vs chaos.

each player makes a roster and the two teams have set objectives, which give additional gc to purchase items and expand their warband.

the objective is to simply be the last team standing or have control of a certain area of the map (set up just like the megabattle)

if anyone wants to try and set this event up or give some suggestions to make it work please leave a pm.
-Dave g

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: mordheim megabattle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:53 PM »
well see now the only conflict I see is making sure that the teams are even.  there are two ways to accomplish that:

1) Set a gold value for the teams to divide, the number of players is not relevant.  They would be even on the terms that they have an equal amouth of money to form the team.

2) Set a player limit and only hold the game as long as the players even up.

I think the first way is the easiest takes out the issue of making sure there are enough good/evil warbands.  But, then the arguement comes up as to whether or not one side has access to better options.

Also, how did you plan to approach the rare equipment issue?  Is it free reign?  A player can just buy whatever equipment he/she feels would be appropriate?

And how would you like to approach the Route checks?  If they are allowed then a team could focus on a team and route them and then move onto the next one.  But, should you take them out then are you making many of the leadership skills not worth bothering with?

skavengear

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:19 PM »
basically the rare items issue would be either as:
a) there isnt any rare items beyond creating the warband
b) the objectives will reward certain items (like in dnd after encounters)

the gold is not an issue 500 gold each warband is completely fair and even since with a player evening (4v4 or 5v5 probablly sounds likely) there is 2000-3000 points a side.

as for fairness i saw a singular issue: sisters of sigmar beat the shit out of chaos warbands, yet in reality they only hit hard vs possesed and undead, which in turn are certainly able to stand on their own (as tim proved going undefeated in hardcore league.

i feel as if it would be a really interesting and fun casual event and we could even decide teams at random (allowing even teams and forcing some people to try a new warband.)

if there is any interest please let me know. im down alt. fridays but im free any day after 12

skavengear

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
tentative rules are as follows:

even teams of 3v3-6v6 empire vs chaos
each player gets standard 500gc, IF a team member has remaining gold, he may "give" it to another team member ONLY when the initial warband is made..
you each recieve a starting are, which will be later used as a "spawn point" when new members are purchased.

there will be objectives which reward rare items, resources, and gold.
first team to complete all objectives or simply be left standing wins.
rout checks will be either gone completely or will start after 25-50% of the entire team is out of action
upon accomplishing a major objective, you may roll for out of action models, on a 10+ (2d6) they return at your spawn point and you make an injury roll as normal.

expirience will be given for warband members who assist in completing an objective and for killing an enemy (sorry no mutiny... yet) and will be in real time. for instance, say i have 1 xp and then kill an enemy model, my character rolls his advancement roll after all combat involving that unit is resolved for the turn.

anyone who wants to sign up just leave a pm with first name and as much of your last as you want to give and which warbands you wish to run(have 1 order 1 chaos ready)

as it stands i have around 4 chaos warbands ready if anyone wants to use a warband i have: possesed, beastman, skaven, and carnival. if you can deal with my embarrasing paint job and unpainted models, you are more than welcome to use them for the event. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:46:23 PM by skavengear »

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:41:40 AM »
When are you planning this for?

skavengear

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
no set date until we have enough people to play then well figure out when to set it. more than likely it will be wednesday or on the weekends though. if you have anyone interested tell them leave a pm or leave one for them

skavengear

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
ok so heres how things will be going down:

we will make our warbands individually with the standard rules. make both an order and chaos warband as i will have a deck of cards (even red even black) and will randomly decide whos team you are on.

warbands allowed are anything in the rulebook plus: kislevite, dwarf, beastman, orcs n goblins, carnival of chaos, and marienberg mercs. (if im missing any official bands remind me here)

the day of the event we will pair up 1 to 1 chaos and order players, they will be the witness for which spells you roll and in addition, every member of the initial band recieves xp enough for a free level up.

the overall idea is that the session will be divided into two acts: each act will have one team as a defender and one launching an assualt. defending team wins if they force the assaulting team to rout and assaulting team wins if they complete their objectives.

there will be major objectives such as guarding a designated area, searching ruins for wyrdstone, etc. and there is an onoing minor objective which is killing an opposing warband's leader. completing these wil award some xp and of course gold. i will post an example of how this will run:

skavengear

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
example of play: (in much smaller scale)

there are 4 people playng. the teams are divided, they roll their advancements etc.
teams are beastman and possesed vs dwarves and sisters.
chaos wins the toss so they choose to assault first

order must defend ravenmire castle from an invading chaos force. in between the two forces is a small village area in ruins where a vast amout of gold, rare treasure, and wyrdstone can be found.

chaos team decides to make a rush for the inner city where there is a long forgotten armory. order must try to prevent (or delay or get it themselves) the chaos forces from getting there while trying to build the defenses of the castle.

chaos ends up making it to the castle but has to retreat (all bands on the team routed) resulting in an order victory.

skavengear

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
so now that youve got rules and a rough idea of things, id like to get between 8 and 12 people to play so that we have a large battle. the fee will hopefully be at a minimum (up to derek and chase) and should be a fun casual game for all. anyone is encouraged to play and is a great way for new players to get into the game if things run smoothly.

ill start the posting so others will follow  ;D

Dave G 18yr Order: Sisters of Sigmar. Chaos: (either skaven or beastman) undecided

feel free to leave questions or comments please respond asap :D

skavengear

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »
just looking at carnival out of consideration, can i use stream of corruption in melee like a pistol? it is a shooting attack

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:21 AM »
If it's random as to which army we use I'm out. I play beastmen. I chose them over allthe other armies because they were most appealing to me. If it's a 50/50 chance to see if I play my army that I have used for years or an army that I passed over in favor of the beastmen then I will not be playing. I think randomly choosing which army a person plays is a bad idea because most players only have one and they chose it because they liked it over all the others. To say that there is a chance you can't use the army that you use all the time is not cool.

skavengear

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
well, that is a valid argument. thats fairly reasonable. we can just pick a warband and decide teams via randomly or highest rating with lowest rating. whichever is most fair. so just play your beastmen and for anyone else play what you like.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »

Dave there are a few serious game play problems with what you are suggesting,  I just don't want to go into it all here.  But, the biggest is time.  The setup and execution of what you are proposing while interesting in theory would result in a tiring game setup.  Also, I can for see multiple conflicts resulting in you objective idea.  The main one being that you would have to immediately stop the game to level or equip warband members.  Remember a model can only ever carry X amount of equipment, finding it during the game and using it would require players to understand that rule prior to the game and plan accordingly.

Also, even with what you are suggesting for a game your not involving everyone.  Also, it sounds like your suggesting two games per.  One where team A assaults and one where team A defends, to decide a definitive victor. 

If you really want to pull off a successful mega battle you first have to run a league for the game, however short lived that league may be.  Then at the end you have the players meet and bring X amount of a warband rating, this would have some players having to leave a few things behind but would even out the game.  Also, with a team a lower rated band teamed with a few higher would result and an even overall warband rating.  Then you would have to have the objectives be something as a goal with no in game results, or very little game changing abilities.  Taking that out makes the game run smoother.  As for route checks just have the warbands operate independantly but use a team captain and the total number of models when tallying a route check.

Or you could run a tournament that has players level in between matches, I know how this is setup also.  You can use the tournament format for a game call Confrontation, its basically the same idea of a game.  But, you have to decide first are you looking for a mega battle which is usually not something you win a prize for.  Or are you looking for a tournament?

skavengear

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
i dont really care, i just wanna play mordheim and thought a team based game would be a fun change of pace. having a league like before where everyone could play a set number of games a week then a mass battle seems reasonable. or just a doubles league/tournament. im not really concerned with prizes since the hardcore league lost alot of people for the money reason.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
well, see that is why we had the non-offical league first.  I have seen my fair share of these things run down at BG and honestly a death pin to any form of league is seeing someone take a hard lead.  This makes many players discouraged since there is now no hope of regaining any form of prize.

The tournament would run something as follows:

Entry: set price, I'd say between $5-10.  Leaning more towards $5 since there is not a ton of interest the lower price would encourage people to give it a shot anyway.

Rounds:  Each round would have a set mission, Tables would be set-up to accomidate all the missions that plan to be played.  Players would decide attacker and defender as per the rule book for the encounter.  Rounds will have a set time limit to be completed, most likely 1 hour.

In between Rounds:  Immediately after the game each match will be given 20 minutes to resolve all post game activity with their opponent present.  This includes; exploration, gold, leveling, and recruiting new warband members.  As each team finishes and turns in their games' result the next round will be paired up.

Special Rules:  All leagal warbands will be allowed, any warband that is brought must have a copy of their rules on hand to verify any information during game play.  Also, players will be required to have a copy of their warband roster sheet on hand along with a second to give to the Referee(Obviously this sheet will change between games but the starting sheet gives the refs a point of reference should problems arise.)

No Dramatis personae will be allowed.

Hired swords may be hired as long as you have a model that is suitable to represent it, and the rules for that sword.  Also, they may only be hired after the first match is played.

Warbands will be purchased as per a normal starting warband.  Players will have 500 gold to start, and access to their warband's armory.

Underdog rules will be in effect, should a warband warrent the bonus experience they will be awarded it for a game vs a higher rated force.

Prizes: Depending on the turn out there can be up to as much as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.  The winner will be decided on the best score of the three games, ties will be decided by the band with the highest warband rating.

I don't think I left anything out.  If I did let me know.