Author Topic: New Website!  (Read 6340 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
New Website!
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »
I've finally finished the long overdue upgrade to the Battleground website. If you usually bypass the site by coming staight to the message boards make sure you go take a look around:

http://www.battlegroundgames.com

I'm interested in collecting some biographies from anyone willing, so make sure you take a look in the "Hall of Fame" section. My portfolio is looking a little lonely in there by itself. If you like, send me an e-mail with your info and a picture that is close to 300 x 300 pixels. I'll put it up as soon as I can.

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
Re: New Website!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:32:04 PM »
how are your feeling on full frontal nudity for the profile pictures?
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Nice update
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
I like having the standard weekly events calender right on the homepage.

A few points of constructive criticism.

The eventide image is cluttered looking. I would fade the set symbol some more, but then it is only a temporary image.

Did you try blocking the calender off in another color? Also the calender should have a prominent link to the actual events/special events calenders as people will tend to not read and assume that is all the weeks events for THIS week.

In store photos can look cheesy but it might be better to devote a section on each games tab to some in store image as it could convey more about the game actually being played/supported than stock images of the brand. For example an image of an actual warmachine game in store.

On the discount page name it 10% discount program or 10% loyalty program not $100 discount program. Sell the benefit not the requirement.

The gaming page (and eventually the 'art gallery') begs for some sub-pages.

Your meta-tags need attention, the keywords and content are junk, as do the page titles.

I think it is going to be cool to have the full product listing online.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: Nice update
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
The eventide image is cluttered looking. I would fade the set symbol some more, but then it is only a temporary image.

I agree it was a little cluttered. It still is, but I have lightened the symbol and added a splash of color on the right hand side to make it a little easier on the eyes.

Did you try blocking the calender off in another color? Also the calender should have a prominent link to the actual events/special events calenders as people will tend to not read and assume that is all the weeks events for THIS week.

I did try a variety of different colors when I was building the page and thought it looked a bit jarring. The consistent theme color seemed to work best. I added a link to the full calendar on the Standard Weekly Events header.

In store photos can look cheesy but it might be better to devote a section on each games tab to some in store image as it could convey more about the game actually being played/supported than stock images of the brand. For example an image of an actual warmachine game in store.

Those rollover buttons will eventually do more by linking to future, relevant pages. For now, I just wanted to display the store's main games. I have my camera with me every day at the store now so that I can gather a collection of gameplay photographs.

On the discount page name it 10% discount program or 10% loyalty program not $100 discount program. Sell the benefit not the requirement.

Agreed. This has been changed.

The gaming page (and eventually the 'art gallery') begs for some sub-pages.

Yes, I have plans to expand both of these sections - I just wanted to have something there for the launch of the new look.

Your meta-tags need attention, the keywords and content are junk, as do the page titles.

I created these pages from a bastardized version of the message board html. Much of the "junk" you see are lingering code from those pages. It will be fixed over time, but this was not my top priority.

I think it is going to be cool to have the full product listing online.

I'm hoping to make some progress with that today.

Thanks for the suggestions!

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »
Great looking new site, Derek. Now I'll get even less work done.
beep bop boop

KingElthur

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • The Gate Stormers
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
Love the new site D!

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »
Is it too late to submit a profile for the Hall of Shame?  er... I mean, "Fame"? :-P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »
http://www.battlegroundgames.com/community_pictures.html
AND
http://www.battlegroundgames.com/products_fulllist.html

*and is it possible to create a "report spam" button that will auto delete spam posts?

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
I've finally finished the long overdue upgrade to the Battleground website. If you usually bypass the site by coming staight to the message boards make sure you go take a look around:

http://www.battlegroundgames.com

I'm interested in collecting some biographies from anyone willing, so make sure you take a look in the "Hall of Fame" section. My portfolio is looking a little lonely in there by itself. If you like, send me an e-mail with your info and a picture that is close to 300 x 300 pixels. I'll put it up as soon as I can.

D.

put the troll pic up just large enough that the loin cloth still resembles a penis!
Tiger's Den founding member