Author Topic: D&D Encounters!  (Read 2290 times)

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
D&D Encounters!
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
Chase!
  Thansk for running last nights double encounter for us.  It was by far some of the most fun and thrilling fighting i've had in a while.  Even though you wrecked the shit out of us, i'm glad we were finally able to bring her down with us!  Mad props to my group as well!  You guys pulled some awesome stuff out of the bullpen to wreck that crazy bitch.  Looking forward to bring a new Character to the table in 2 weeks!

How did the group after us fair?

-Kurt

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: D&D Encounters!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
Thanks, Kurt.  The fight was pretty exciting and I'm glad it presented a challenge... even if it was a bit too much.

That type of encounter is my favorite to run, think about, and especially play against.  I think that the writers may not have considered how much juice the encounter had...  Of course, the fact that her her most difficult to work around power kept re-charging didn't help much.  I also ran the encounter trying to make it very difficult.

The other group took a very different approach...  First, they ended up "taking down" the orb with a series of DC20+ Arcana checks while getting bombed by the Eladrin inside.  They took "full defense" actions when the melee characters couldn't do much else due to being slowed, which helped.  They knew the fight was going to be really deadly so you didnt see them using any item/daily powers in the "first" encounter.  They had several debuff type of effects that they used to great effect.  Their cleric was able to heal a LOT, which obviously helped.  I forgot to hurt people who started within 2 squares of her almost the entire fight.  I was only able to use her power that pushed people back twice.  I also had roughly two straight rounds where I rolled nothing but 4's and 5's.  Overall, I think their group was much better suited to fight her (ranged attacks, debuffs, tons of healing, higher defenses, etc).  It was difficult for them, but I only dropped a few PC's.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
I also thought it was the best of the nights I have played and I know Todd had a great time as well.

You know it's sad when Chase has to hold back so we die slower :)

It was a great death and I can't wait to make a new character who doesn't blindly charge into everything.

Thanks to Chase and everyone playing!
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »
I should be at Encounters this week, but not till later....Closer to 9pm or so.  If folks are willing to hang for a late run through I will be there!

K

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
There will be a late session, Kurt.

filthgrinder

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
And I went through my WoWTCG cards and made a deck and everything!

On a side note, there are some pretty interesting Twitter buffs tonight, gives the impression that this last chapter might be more challenging.

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
Well my CPR class starts at 6....it might get out early...I don't forsee me getting out of class any later than 9.  I'll bring a deck or two as well! 

-K

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
Kurt, all of the players in the "second" group have bailed on tonights later game...

Hopefully you see this before making the trip down here.

Sorry, dude.

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
Vicodin and 6 Advil later i can finally think again. Sorry i turned around so quickly.
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase