Author Topic: New player looking to start playing!  (Read 2372 times)

theletterj

New player looking to start playing!
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I'm new to DnD and would really like to learn how to play. I'd like to know what nights are best for a noob to learn. I saw the schedule and I'm unsure of what days are noob friendly. Thank you. ^___^;;

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Re: New player looking to start playing!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
D&D Encounters is every Wednesday at 7:30. It is a 4th edition based game.
You can see the Dark Sun thread to get an idea of what the world is.
Even though this week would be week 9 people rotate in and out depending on real life situations, and we are always more than happy to explain the game mechanics.

I find 4th edition to be the easiest to learn, plus they have an online character generator which is great for people like me who dreaded going through a stack of books with pencil in hand to make one.
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

theletterj

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
That's the edition I have. So I can just start even though it's already in progress? That time and day works well for me! I'm going to be reading everything I can before tomorrow (since it's wednesday and everything. I'd like to start sooner than later. :P) I don't know if I'll use the character generator though, I want to put some thought into creating a character since it's my first one. I'm glad to hear you guys are open to noobs. Haha. :)

theletterj

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
Oh I forgot to ask. Does it cost anything to play?

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »
First, it is 100% free!
Second, people come and go from the game depending on real life so it idoesn't matter if you jump in :)
Third, you can't use the character generator for this particular game since the rules for Dark Sun are not out yet. I should have mentioned that. There are pre made characters, which kinda stinks since making characters is half the fun, but then again the last encounters you could end up with 5 strikers and no healer or meat shields. At least this way it's a balanced party.
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

filthgrinder

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
D&D Encounters is a weekly program started by Wizards of the Coast to provide a short weekly play experience. It let's new players come in and learn the game, and it lets people who may not have a group, or not have the time, to just jump into a game. It's actually set-up to allow people to come and go, miss a week here or there. Of course, some of us play every week, but others play every once in awhile. We get new folks a lot so it's not a problem.

The current "season" is set in the Dark Sun campaign world, which is a little different than a standard D&D setting, but it's still the same game. The big thing to know about Dark Sun, is that it is a harsh barren desert world that has been ravaged by magic.

The story thus far (in summary) is our group of adventurers were guarding a merchant caravan through the desert, when an obsidian shard storm rained down razor sharp super heated rocks. Our heroes fled out through the desert. They avoided nasty desert dwellers who sought to raid the party for their supplies. The party navigated to a cave through the foot hills. Inside the cave they fought off some undead and a large crystal spider. They found a passageway leading below to an ancient temple. The temple's statue guardians attack, but were defeated.

The story continues tonight!

Each week is one encounter.

theletterj

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
Sounds good to me! That might be easier for me to learn then. What characters are already taken then? It doesn't really matter to me which one I get. Whatever is more useful or isn't taken. :) I can't wait to play!  ;D

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
The Regular cast of chracters changes every week.  I for one have played 3 of the varous characters available.  It all depends on who is there and what time you show up.  I for one have had fun playing as every character I've played as.  Hope your able to make it tonight!

-K

theletterj

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »
I will be able to make it. :) I'm pretty prudent, so I'll be right on time, if not 10 minutes early. (being late for things is a pet peeve of mine lol I try to never be late for anything) I'm just glad it's on a Wednesday. That's really one of the only days I have nothing scheduled for evenings. It's very convenient.