Author Topic: Looking to get into a D&D group...but im a beginner  (Read 2195 times)

DnDnewb

• Email
Looking to get into a D&D group...but im a beginner
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
Hey. I'm a teen in the Easton area looking to join an existing 4th edition D&D group. I have all the core rulebooks, my own dice, and as I understand it thats all you need. I'm free pretty much most nights. I'm a beginner so I'd like to play with at least one person who knows the game well and I'd love to join a campaign. I've tried twice to play with my friends but it never worked out. Thanks a bunch.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Looking to get into a D&D group...but im a beginner
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
Hey man, if you're in Easton you should come check out the Plainville store on a Wednesday night sometime.

Every Wednesday we run D&D Encounters which is a free 4th Edition game using the new D&D Essentials product line.  The vast majority of the group that meets are beginners.  It's a great way to play some D&D and meet some new people. The game starts at 7:00pm and usually lasts about 2 hours. I highly recommend it.

D&D Encounters is targeted more towards newer players so you should have no problems just hopping right in.

Here's a link for more info:  http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4new/event/dndencounters

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

DnDnewb

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
Thanx man. I'll see if i can come next week.  :)

DnDnewb

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
So...do we create our own characters for that one week? Or a character for every week? Or are there pre-made characters? And Do you think there will be people there who might want to start a group?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »
So...do we create our own characters for that one week? Or a character for every week?

Either option is fine.  What people have been doing is making one character and playing it through or asking Sam, who DMs the game, if they can switch characters between chapters.  Remember though, the characters must be made using the new D&D Essentials rules, not the normal 4e rules.

Or are there pre-made characters?

There are six different level 1 premade characters to choose from if you do not want to make a character of your own.  All of them are decent.  Wizards of the Coast may have updated them to level 2 but I am not sure.

And Do you think there will be people there who might want to start a group?

It is certainly possible.  We have seen MANY different / new players come through and play in a session of D&D Encounters.  Some of them play every week.  They may be interested in starting a group of their own or even branch off and run D&D Encounters on their own.  The limiting factor seems to be a lack of interested DMs.

I highly recommend coming down to Plainville to check it out.  The people that play are all super nice and great to be around.  Sam, one of the employees there and the guy who runs the game, is a rock star when it comes to helping new players, DMing the game, and making it fun for everyone.

If you're looking to meet new players and get yourself into a group this is something you should strongly consider.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »
Sam is a rock star.

Fixed.

Sam is awesome.
beep bop boop

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Not sure if I should poke my nose in here... But if you are looking for anything to do on a Tuesday night at the Plainville store I run a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Group (different from D&D but just as fun) every other Tuesday. We just launched a campaign and its going well so far... could always have 1 more if your interested.

The next time we are meeting is Tuesday November 30th.

Oh I have even heard that Sam is Awesome!
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
Hooray, people like me!

Encounters has been a really fun time, and new players are always welcome. Wizards unfortunately did not update the pregen characters to level 2... so I did. They're ready to go for whoever needs them. It also only take maybe ten to fifteen minutes to create an Essentials character, so a lot of people have just been showing up early. I've gotten plenty of practice walking people through the process; pretty soon I won't need the book anymore.

I've been toying with the idea of starting up an actual campaign sometime, since my mind has been frothing over with D&D ideas lately, but that's still in the formative stage. We can also see if anybody else is interested in running a game; a lot of the new guys are really getting into it, and are probably looking for any excuse to play. We'll chat at the table tomorrow, and see what can be set up. Hope to see you then!

And thanks, everybody, for the encouragement.