Author Topic: Looking to play Fantasy in the nearish future: what army should I choose?  (Read 2291 times)

Bruce Willis

• Email
In this order I like Beastmen, Lizardmen, Chaos Warriors, and Skaven. The few times that I have played 40k I am a generally "assaulty" player. I like the Beastmen because they have an appealing look as well as history, Lizardmen are pretty neat looking and would be a blast to paint, Chaos Warriors seem pretty "ownage" plus I like there horses, and Skaven are pretty much Skaven.   
"if all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two."
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
beastmen are rather difficult to use at the moment, very unfriendly to beginners. but the models are great and i love mine, i highly recommend them but as a second army. lizards and skaven are both very strong, they have a huge range of capabilities in their books and are pretty forgiving. warriors are awesome, i'm strongly considering started them myself, they have gorgeous models and can be very powerful. they're more 1-dimensional than skaven or lizards as far as gameplay. all great choices for an assault style player. is money a big factor? if so, steer clear of the skaven as you will be buying 250+ models for 2.5k games. warriors are probably the most wallet friendly of those armies. all great choices though.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
Do not go with beastmen, unless you don't care about winning.  Their book is not very good and it will get very frustrating.

In terms of power level, it would go Skaven, Lizardmen, Warriors.  However, All of those books are in the top half of armies and can compete.

Warriors would likely be more your style.

Bruce Willis

• Email
Ok, thanks! I'll rule Beastmen out altogether then. Warriors are definitely a gorgeous army (yay for horses!), as well as a befitting my play style, and Skaven would be fun (LOTS of rat people ftw!) as well as Lizardmen. I am still fleshing out my 40k armies (Blood Angles and Dark Eldar) so by the time I'd buy a fantasy army (maybe 4 months) I probably will have made a decision.
Thanks again for your help and console!

"if all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two."
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Bruce Willis

• Email
Actually I think Deamons of Chaos will be my choice. I have never actually considered them before but they're pretty cool so...yeah.
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
i have 36 plastic daemonettes with command assembled and primed black if you want em.

Bruce Willis

• Email
Really? How much would you want for them?
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
how's a doombull worth of store credit? $41.25?

edit: make that 36 with 2 full commands
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:56:55 PM by brother_maynard »

Bruce Willis

• Email
$41.25 for the commands and the Deamonettes or JUST the "Doombull"?
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
sorry didn't mean to confuse you, i meant $41.25 in store credit (roughly $1.15 a model) and all 36 daemonettes are yours. reasonable?

Bruce Willis

• Email
Thats ok.Thats a great price too. Not to sound sketchy but, I probably wont buy them right now, maybe in a few months when I buy my other Daemon stuff. [But] when that day roles around I will PM you and definitely buy them.  :)
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Bruce Willis

• Email
Brother Maynard, if your going to sell your demons just sell them. I think i'm going with a different army.
-Lord Corvis of Petrax

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
ok. what are you going with out of curiosity?

Iacton Qruze

• Email
Just tell us it ain't another damn Skaven army.... ;)
Just remember, manling.... the Bloodthirster is MINE.-
-G. Gurnisson

Bruce Willis

• Email
Oh no, definitely not!
-Lord Corvis of Petrax