Author Topic: 4th Ed N00b Feat Question  (Read 2307 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
4th Ed N00b Feat Question
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:26:45 AM »
As people will know from the old forum I'm a n00b to 4th ed and DnD in general.  I've never played before so I'm full of questions.  While going through the book for feats I came across another question.

I'm working on a human wizard character.  On page 193 of the PH (Player's Handbook) Astral Fire is listed as a feat.  It says that you gain a bonus "...when you use a power that has the fire or radiant keyword."  Page 192 describes how feats and keywords work.  I read that and still have my question.

Page 159 and 160 list spells for Level 1 Wizards.  I want to know if the Astral Fire feat pertains to the following spells.

Page 159
Scorching Burst
Burning Hands

Page 160
Flaming Sphere

I just want to make sure I understand how feat keywords work correctly.  The keywords for a spell are listed in each spell right after the type of spell.  For example Scorching Burst is an At-Will spell.  So, it shows At-Will Arcane, Fire, Implement.  Arcane, Fire, and Implement are its keywords.  Yes?

Therefore, any feat that applies to keywords Arcane, Fire, and/or Implement apply to Scorching Burst?

Thanks!
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: 4th Ed N00b Feat Question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:25:12 AM »
You are correct on all accounts. Astral Fire grants its bonus to both Scorching Burst and Flaming Sphere. Your understanding of keywords is correct.

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:13 AM »
Thanks.  The first few times I read it I wasn't sure and was confused.  But, then I spotted the keywords in the spells and wondered if they counted or if it was suitable as long as Fire was mentioned in the title or description.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I'm kinda lovin the new edition for how easy everything is looking to be.  I mean its confusing for older players cuz we have to break old habits.  But to explain the new system to a new player is like giving cake to someone on a diet.

Plus I like the new system that you can change powers and feats in a limited way.  That way if you find that something was not working nearly as effectively as you had planned with your group you can swap it out for something you think may at your next level.  But the restriction of one thing per level limits it nicely.