Author Topic: I hear Tuesdays are good for Warhammer Fantasy in Plainville? challenge thread  (Read 44276 times)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Anyone have any thoughts on a point value that would be good for a first game?

I've currently built up a 1500 point army list, but I don't know if that's really a viable game / one that people would actually play.

I'm looking at trying to play a game on Tuesday night, so if anyone has recommended point values / suggestions / is up for a game, let me know!

-Steve
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

MM3791

• God
Anyone have any thoughts on a point value that would be good for a first game?

I've currently built up a 1500 point army list, but I don't know if that's really a viable game / one that people would actually play.

I'm looking at trying to play a game on Tuesday night, so if anyone has recommended point values / suggestions / is up for a game, let me know!

-Steve

Well if you only have 1500 pts then its a good beginner game so don't worry about it too much. Most games are around 2500 but mostly due to characters. Unlike 40k HQs, in fantasy Lords and Heros play a much larger role and most players put 25% of their army points into them. If you have 1500pts worth of infantry then you can easily spend another 500 points on 1-2 characters.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Oh, I think the most I could field is about 3000 points, I just wasn't sure what a good "starter" point value would be.

I'd just need to build trays for my various units, but I think I could get around 3000.  I'll work on a list for 2500 and 3000, just in case.

EDIT: I can do 2500, can't do 3000 until I get a few more models in the next order.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:37:46 AM by Frosthydra »
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
If you have never played before I would say play small games. You will learn more of you play a few 1000 point games and they are a lot faster.

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
personally i prefer the smaller games, you get more games in, and i feel you are able to make a much more varied list each time

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
That and skaven are bonkers at low point games....

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Oh, I think the most I could field is about 3000 points, I just wasn't sure what a good "starter" point value would be.
1000 or 1500 is a good place to start. once you get into higher points games there will be a lot of more obscure rules coming into play that will only make it harder to keep track of whats going on. you seem to have a good grasp of the rules but there's no sense in overloading yourself. plus like Hankin said, skaven are pretty tough in small games.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Alright then, I'll work up a few lists for various values to get things going.  Probably a 1000, 1500, and 2500 to start out.

Whatever people feel like playing, at least I'll have something for it. :)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
So I kind of botched and sent myself only 1000, 2000, and 2500 point lists... stupidly sent myself my 1500 point Tyranid list instead of my Skaven one, whoops.

I'll be there tonight if anyone feels like teaching or playing against a new player.

-Steve

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
We are going to be running a WHFB tournament on Jan 22nd (a Sunday).  I don't have the details hammered out yet, but figured I'd give the heads up.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
I heard we had nine players there tonight?  Not a bad showing!  :)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Yep, nine people were there, eight playing.  I kind of just walked around and watched / checked rules randomly.

I think there was a 2v2 match of Tomb King and Chaos Warriors against High Elves and Orcs/Goblins... a Chaos Warriors against Ogres game... and a Beastmen against Tomb Kings game as well.

Seemed like everyone was having a good time, lots of death all around... the way the games should be!  ;)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
So how does this evening look for games?

I'll be heading there tonight in case anyone might want to play a game.  The rats are hungry after being gone for more than a week.  :)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
How did this past Tuesday work out?  When I left there were 6 players.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
I wasn't able to make it in  >:(