Author Topic: Tale of X Gamers Abington  (Read 12176 times)

Grand Master Steve

Tale of X Gamers Abington
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
I think Abington is in a decline of warhammer gamming which makes me a Sad Steve. I think we should form a small group and do a Tale of X gamers.

For those who are not familiar with the concept, basically we set a point limit each month. We would start with the basic maybe 1000. Than maybe increase that by 200-500 pts a month. Each month your stuff will be photographed and scored. I'm not 100% sure how the scoring works but I recall an example being; did you have the point allotment fully painted by the deadline?

The prize? Having a tournament ready fully painted army. And maybe a cool plaque or something that's not expensive. I have to look up the exact rules of how a Tale of X gamers is done but I think it will bring a much needed breath of life to playing 40k at Abington.

So c'mon guys! even if its just 4 of us we can have fun slowly collecting, painting and playing Warhammer 40,000.

I am in, and to change things up for me and get me out of my commfort zone, Im going to do Space Wolves.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Tale of X Gamers Abington
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
This is a very interesting idea. I may steal it for Plainville, mostly because it's exactly what I need for my Spehss Mahreens. :)

By the way, it was good yesterday to see some of the Abington crowd out for the tournament. Glad I got to meet/chat with many of you.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
I thought it was a good idea and im hoping a few others will as well. I want to bring 40k back to Abington.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
I'm in with Lamenters.
beep bop boop

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Sweet! Few more people and we can do this! Just have to find out the rules and such for scoring and determining the "winner"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
Ok the Rules are so simple!

we will determine how many points for the first round and set a completeion date. Then every one plays every one else one time. and here is the scoring:

Models Painted:
-On time = 5 points
-late = 3 points
-not finished = 0 points

Games played:
-win = 3 points
-draw = 2 points
-loss = 1 point

Who ever has the most points is the winner and Ill make up a cool plack to have hung in the store.

If any one else wants to eratta or add to this system let me know.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
Define painted. Three-color minimum?

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
i checked the white dwarf and the criteria on games played was actually games played(best result) which will most likely work better for most people. meaning you can play as many games as you want and you take you best result for the score. say you play 1 game and tie you can take that score but you can also play more games until you win for the best results. and the painting criteria seemed to be more to completion what that means is what it means for you. one of the guys did extensive converting on the stand for his jetbikes and then painted it. it is supposed to be friendly so if you don't feel that your models are complete than you are not done. i am not sure if there was i different time for submission and then a later one for a late date or what that would have to be determined.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
Define painted. Three-color minimum?

Let's go for the gold and say "if you have to ask, it isn't".
beep bop boop

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
I'm very interested, I am "Slowly" building an army and I need an excuse to get playing again. I won't have a 100 points for a while though :(

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »
Just realized, this would be perfect to start for January. New holiday presents / Battleground gift certificates (now available at all fine Battleground retail locations!) coupled with the idea of New Year's resolutions still lingering in people's heads...

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Just realized, this would be perfect to start for January. New holiday presents / Battleground gift certificates (now available at all fine Battleground retail locations!) coupled with the idea of New Year's resolutions still lingering in people's heads...

count me in if you do this in Plainville Ben, i've got 1500ish of Necrons i still need to assemble and paint, and if this is just painting might be the kickstart i need to get this massive amount of grey knights painted lol

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »
thanks Seth thats helpful. Once we get enough people in Ill make a revised rules list with more detailed explenations

King of the Elves

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
If you start with a small point value, i'm in. But because i am just starting  :'( (i'm going to get assult on Black Reach in a couple of days) if you start with something like 1,000 points i couldn't do it. But it's a good idea all the same.  :)

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
it looks like the first month all they had to do was paint and assemble about 500 points of a new army. the second month they had to add 250 points and play their first games. then it said that next month they would be up to 1000 points. The thing started in wd 343(which i don't have) and continues from there.(i do have the second one wd 344 though)
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu