Author Topic: Making Squigs: Milliput? Sculpy?  (Read 1841 times)

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
Making Squigs: Milliput? Sculpy?
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
The Squig models are quite expensive so I'm going to make my own. They look pretty simple to make, but I don't know what I should use to model them. Milliput seems pretty popular amongst hobby bloggers and my mother suggests I use Sculpy. I figure I could use either to create the body and use some green stuff for the teeth, eyes, etcetera.  What is your opinion? Have you used and had good experiences with either? Perhaps there is another product I could use?  :-\

Horrid Mischief

• Email
Re: Making Squigs: Milliput? Sculpy?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
I'm not much of a sculptor, but a good friend of mine is and has done some sculpting for GW's Inquisitor line, and I know a lot about molding and casting.  Green stuff, or any two-part epoxy putty, has been used because it will survive the vulcanization process for making molds for spin-casting.  (Which GW no longer uses now that they have FineCast.)

That is why they use stuff that is sticky, tacky and hard to work with, but if you are sculpting for your own use, or to cast using RTV silicon or other low-pressure, low heat methods then Sculpy will work just fine.  In fact, it might be preferable since it will remain pliable until you find the shape you want, then you can fire it to harden. I think it can be brittle when dry, so Green Stuff will be more durable in the long run. Green stuff is also better for conversions since it will stick to the model your converting, but for a scratch built sculpt it will matter less.  -Mark

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with Milliput and green stuff because while searching for articles on modeling I found pictures of some squiqs made of the same materials.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
I was going to try the same thing. I was going to get little foam balls and cover them in green stuff.

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
Ah! Now there's a thought! That would certainly conserve modeling putty. I might just have to try that.