Author Topic: [Abington MA] Teresa J. Coyle Memorial Slaughter: The Arena - 12/11  (Read 3832 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Abington

Teresa J. Coyle Memorial Slaughter: The Arena

Date: December 11th, 2011 THIS SUNDAY
Time: Registration begins at 1 PM. All characters must be ready to roll promptly at 2 PM (please create your characters well in advance of the event!)
Entrance Fee: FREE with HUGE PRIZES!

Over the years, Battleground Games & Hobbies has often held events using the various Dungeons & Dragons rules systems to simulate gladiatorial arena matches. This Sunday, we’ll be continuing that tradition for our annual Teresa Coyle Memorial Slaughter event. Terry was a much loved regular at Battleground who passed away several years ago. Her fondness for all things gaming and her connection to the community at the store led her husband, Tim, to decide to sponsor a yearly event in her honor.

RULES FOR THE TERESA COYLE MEMORIAL SLAUGHTER: ARENA

RULEBOOKS:
Pathfinder Core Rulebook. ONLY the Pathfinder Core Rulebook can be used to create a character – NO EXCEPTIONS!

CHARACTER CREATION RULES:
All participants must create a 5th level Barbarian or Fighter. These are the only two character classes allowed.

Ability Scores:
Use the High Fantasy 20 point-buy and the Ability Score purchase rules on page 15-16 of the Core Rulebook.

Races:
You may play any race from the Core Rulebook.

Classes:
Barbarian and Fighter ONLY. You’re a gladiator, after all. You may multi-class between them per the normal rules if you desire.

Hit Points:
Determine the maximum hit points for your character at first level then add (+6/barbarian or +5/fighter) + CON bonus for each additional level after the first.

Animal Companions:
Not allowed. This includes the purchasing of animals from the "Equipment" section like horses or dogs.

Equipment:
Each character begins with 250 gp with which to buy items from the Core Rulebook Equipment section. Absolutely NO magic items will be allowed.

Alignment:
Any.

HOW THE BATTLE WILL WORK:
All gladiators will be spaced around the approximately 4’ x 6’ arena at Battleground. Here is a picture of the arena for reference:

Initiative will be determined and the battle will ensue. All gladiators are expected to immediately move toward another gladiator and begin their attack, or use a missile weapon to do so. The crowd watching the fight dislikes it when gladiators stall or stay out of the fray, and their mood can have a strong influence on the success or failure of a gladiator’s performance. Each round that a gladiator does not make an attack against another gladiator will result in an adjustment on the sliding performance scale.

1st Round without making an attack: Crowd takes notice and shouts a few jeers. Combatant takes a -1 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

2nd Round without making an attack: Crowd begins to shout and taunt the stalling gladiator. Combatant takes a -2 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

3rd Round without making an attack: Crowd becomes very hostile and chants relentlessly about the gladiator’s cowardice and begins to throw rotten vegetables (purchased by conveniently located vendors) at the gladiator. Combatant takes a -4 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

4th Round without making an attack: Crowd is enraged. The emperor’s court wizards, in order to maintain order in the stands, begins to fire magic missiles at the stalling gladiator. Subsequent rounds will continue with these penalties in place.

Gladiators must work their way back up the ladder in order to remove accrued penalties.

Conversely, gladiators who show great bravado will be rewarded in similar ways.

Every time an opponent is slain in the arena, the gladiator dealing the killing blow will receive a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws (if a gladiator is in the negatives when he receives this bonus it brings him up one further on the scale). This bonus will remain for as long as the gladiator continues to relentlessly assault his opponents. If at any time the gladiator fails to attack an opponent in a given round the bonus will be affected as noted above.

A gladiator that delivers a critical hit also gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

A gladiator cannot under any circumstances accrue a bonus higher than +3 in this way.

PRIZES:
The last gladiator standing will receive $100 store credit.
The second to last gladiator standing will receive $60 store credit.
The third to last gladiator standing will receive $40 store credit.

PRO TIP!
Watch out for alliances and disrupt them when you can!

Good luck gladiators. Strength and honor!

Address:
1501 Bedford Street
Abington MA 02351

Google Maps

Check out our Facebook Page

Join our Mailing List

Please contact me at derek@battlegroundgames.com if you have any questions pertaining to this event.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:55:11 PM by Battleground »
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
Re: [Abington MA] Teresa J. Coyle Memorial Slaughter: The Arena - 12/11
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:10:24 AM »
why is everything starting on Sundays now?   :'(  This, the fantasy tournaments.
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »
Just to clarify, Derek intended to make ALL Gladiators start at 5th level.

May blood be spilled and the last standing revel in glory.
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

DWalker

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
I might have to come down for this... The arena is awesome...
"Are you frightened? Not nearly frightened enough."

-Doug

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Just to clarify, Derek intended to make ALL Gladiators start at 5th level.

May blood be spilled and the last standing revel in glory.

Thanks Cale. Not sure how I missed that. I have updated the rules to reflect this.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

DWalker

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »
Great event! Even though I was the first to die...

-Doug

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
I don't know why I never played an arena before.  Even though I died I had a great time. 
...and I killed a guy with a trident!

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
Who won? 

And when can we bust out that arena for Warhammer Fantasy Chariot races, mage duels, jousts, and just about any other fun mini-game we can come up with?  I would love to see someone come up with a "gladiators" versus huge monster WFB game.  Work together or lone wolf it and try to stab each other in the back, anything goes!

DWalker

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
My friend Mike won. We both played almost identical characters, and teamed up. It was his first time at BG and he thought it was great!!

I LOVE the idea of a real jousting tournament. Complete with as real a point system as we can get.

There's some pretty good rules for jousting in the game of thrones d20 book that came out about 5 years ago. It's tough to find though.

-Doug