Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k Trios Event - 2/25/2012  (Read 6120 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k Trios Event - 2/25/2012
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
I dont prefer FW in tournies myself.  I would not like to see them put in all of them but a select few would be nice and a happy medium.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
I dont prefer FW in tournies myself.  I would not like to see them put in all of them but a select few would be nice and a happy medium.

I think this is the direction we're heading in.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »

I have definitely pulled a 180 on this. I would love to see it. I think this is the direction 6th ed is going and I am ready.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
Forgeworld is for people who don't know how to win using their own codex and hobbyists, it has no place in tournaments of any remotely serious nature, all it means is someone with the desire to win has to shell out way more money or memorize the contents of twice as many books.
Tiger's Den founding member

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
U mad bro?

Seriously:  I believe that more options that are generally accepted as "in line" with the other options available is probably a good thing.  Changing completely and suddenly from "no Forgeworld" to "Yay!  Forgeworld!!" is probably not the best idea.

I do think Bill is right in that 6th edition will see a drift towards making the FW options more mainstream.

One of the other reasons we will not change completely over is that we need time to adjust on our end as well.  Reading between the lines here:  Sam needs time to get more familiar with the FW stuff.

I would expect to see FW stuff be allowed in a Trios event later this year, and at least one of the Doubles events too.  We've got Singles in March which will not allow FW, April we are going to take "off" from 40k due to PAX, WHFB, and a MtG Prerelease, and May we are going to throw a Doubles event at you guys that's "a little different."  I'm looking forward to that one.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
So... what made this Trios event more "casual" than normal tournaments?
Aside from the Forge World stuff most players ignored? Not much, really. From my experience, par for the course, which is good.

If someone gives me Forge World stuff, I'll play it. It's not as if Forge World will upset the current "balance" that doesn't exist.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »
The biggest thing with FW is the availibilty of the rules.  In its current incarnation you have some awesome units that no one knows about that are counter intuitive to the current ruleset.  With 6th edition I have a feeling that things will be more balance towards the base game and forge world becoming more "main stream"

I applaud your willingness to test it out and prove people (me included) wrong

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
The availability of the rules are just as to get as the codecies since BG can get the rule books.

The best argument I have heard against FW was access to the models.  However, I feel even that argument is moot considering GW can't release models on time to save their lives so converters (or FW owners) still have a dramatic upper hand there on normal codex models.

The reason for my earlier comment was because of how historically the teammate based tournaments were usually a lot more chill.  It's good to see FW rules not ending the world as well.  Seeing as I had an entire army lost to the warp because GW saw fit, the only proper representation is from FW now.  Maybe there is hope for playing with my army outside a little coven of players.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
So... what made this Trios event more "casual" than normal tournaments?

In team events players can place blame and have to rely on others.  If for no other reason this tends to make the event feel more casual.

Trios takes this up a notch. Half of your teams score in each round is completely out of your hands.  Knowing this might help reinforce "Well I don't HAVE to..." and "Ehh, it might not matter THAT much..." lines of thinking.  Players (should) know that as an individual they can not win (or lose) the event for their team.  I believe this promotes the awesome, "Well it might be cool if..." mentality moreso than any other event.  Sometimes people "trying different stuff" happens, sometimes it doesn't.  All we can do is give people an environment that encourages it in subtle ways (like giving them two teammates, a weird point total, and a handicapped force org).  I think Trios is the closest we've come to that.

For instance, the winning team had one player field an army he's never played before (in an event anyways).

I think overall the lists for Trios are a lot more "casual" than any other event.

I think it's very easy for someone to argue the complete opposite, but I don't think that holds true just yet.

The availability of the rules are just as to get as the codecies since BG can get the rule books.

This is only half true.  We can not get all of the IA stuff.  For instance, IA Second Edition is not available through GW.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:52:17 PM by Chase »

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
I definitely felt it was more casual. As Chase mentioned; I was playing an army I have never played before and most of all; I had a blast each round totally irrelevant to how many points that we did or did not get. The feel of the top table was also much different, we spent much more time poking fun, laughing and doing things because it was silly above worrying about the tourney.

As far as IA, I look forward to more inclusion, I have ordered the IA second ed book and new models. I am totally stoked to see new opponents and seeing armies that people otherwise would not play because of some units (most likely Eldar, CSM, Tau etc.). Or even entire FW armies.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
I just wish GK got some more FW love,

can't use Contemptor, LR Achilies, etc

about all they have is Psycannons for razorbacks that really aren't worth it

hopefully its just a new codex thing and GK get some FW usability in 6th edition
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:19:04 AM by PhoenixFire »

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
I just wish GK got some more FW love,

can't use Contemptor, LR Achilies, etc

about all they have is Psycannons for razorbacks that really aren't worth it

hopefully its just a new codex thing and GK get some FW usability in 6th edition

You do get a bunch of special character inquisitors.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
Who needs FW we have Coteaz, Psyflemen, Draigo and Matt ward on our side. We dont need no stinking help.

We already break the game with just our codex....
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996