Author Topic: Post Megabattle review  (Read 1483 times)

Grand Master Steve

Re: Post Megabattle review
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »

Also the fact that I was ignorent of rules that are barely 2 months old its my fault? Sorry no.

Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have.

Actually Steve -- Yes, while it's ok not to be an expert on the rules, you should be prepared then to look up the relevant rules as they come up.

It sucks that that happened to you, but if something shoots at you and you don't know what it is, and it sounds fishy, ask to see the rules for that unit -- everyone is supposed to bring the rules for that relevant unit during the Megabattle.

I do feel bad that your stuff got shot down,  but let's use this as a lesson for the future -- the person doing the shooting could also have just misread his rules and didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

the other problem was when my stuff was getting shot down i was on the other side of the table and not witnessing the rolls but all the imperial players on that side juist went with it and said my stuff was shot down

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
Things I've learned not to worry about:

1) TONS of stuff dying to well played Super Heavies or Assests.

Personally, I think you should worry about that less than you are.  In the process of dealing with tar pit problems like night fight (though, as stated, it's different now and you may want to reconsider how that's going to change how problematic it is) it seems as though you start to worry about things that really won't cause that much of a problem.  Live and let live for the crazy stuff.  Again, for game slowing things I can understand how important it is, but just that.

Further, on the idea of the infamous ambush, I'm really confused how anybody is reading it as 200 dice should have been rolled for the unit.  Since when are two assets EVER resolved simultaneously?  If two people have an orbital bombardment and target the same area, who in their right mind would argue that both players should put it down at once and both do wounds to a full unit?  Who would argue that two different players shooting at a unit should resolve their shots at the same time?
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Things I've learned not to worry about:

1) TONS of stuff dying to well played Super Heavies or Assests.

Further, on the idea of the infamous ambush, I'm really confused how anybody is reading it as 200 dice should have been rolled for the unit.  Since when are two assets EVER resolved simultaneously?  If two people have an orbital bombardment and target the same area, who in their right mind would argue that both players should put it down at once and both do wounds to a full unit?  Who would argue that two different players shooting at a unit should resolve their shots at the same time?

I agree with you.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »
So yeah there was a lot of hiccups, people were upset (I know I was pissed, but oh well), and there seems to be a ton of little issues to work out before the next time this happens.  I figured that this would be the case considering the new rules dropped right before the game.

On to three really cool things that I saw (which both happened to me at my end of the table)

That really awesome looking Eldar Titan that hammered my MekBoy Stompa, but was unable to kill it.  Then the one lone UltraSmurf from the squad that did not get stomped to death hopped onto the quad gun and wrecking the stompa with a desperate last shot.

The UltraSmurf chapter master surviving
1) A lifta-droppa smacking his land raider into a vindacator
2) A Deth Kannon blast on said two vehicles
3) 9 Kannon shots, 50 Loota shots
4) A bunch of fire from 1kSons
5) I wasn't there when he finally died, but he absorbed an insane amount of fire.  Really damn impressive.

The UltraSmurf Terminators that sealed the game for the Order side.  The final charge of Ork Nobs, Dark Eldar, and 1kSons....which still didn't kill them all.  Held the objective and made sure that Order lost.  Another impressive showing.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

Also the fact that I was ignorent of rules that are barely 2 months old its my fault? Sorry no.

Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have.

Actually Steve -- Yes, while it's ok not to be an expert on the rules, you should be prepared then to look up the relevant rules as they come up.

It sucks that that happened to you, but if something shoots at you and you don't know what it is, and it sounds fishy, ask to see the rules for that unit -- everyone is supposed to bring the rules for that relevant unit during the Megabattle.

I do feel bad that your stuff got shot down,  but let's use this as a lesson for the future -- the person doing the shooting could also have just misread his rules and didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

the other problem was when my stuff was getting shot down i was on the other side of the table and not witnessing the rolls but all the imperial players on that side juist went with it and said my stuff was shot down

:( That sucks dude. Well, let that be a lesson to them as well.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »
Made the ride from jersey with Mr. Hong and Mr. Do worth it!

Now that means it really must have been good 8)
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have. I could not play a good hunk of the game because Flyers can be intercepted and oh look theyw ere carrying a good hunk of my army. If they get blown up AFTER they drop my army fine what ever they did their job but it sucks they get blown up before I have a chance to do ANYTHING.

I assuming this is a crack against my 1 Ork Flakkatrakk, unit from Apocalypse Reloaded (And I did have the rules there for it).  Similar unit to the Ork Flakk Trakk in IA8 and Imperial Armour Aeronautica (IAA), just with less armor and less weapons (and 15 points less expensive with a special rule about moving flat out and shooting that never came in to play).  It was not updated in the new IAA, but its gun was.  Ork Flakk Gunz have interceptor and Skyfire.  If Flakk Gunz from an old book are not the same as Flakk Gunz from a new book, I would have pulled off one loota and had a stronger vehicle that could fire even more.  I figured that it was like the DA codex and things like the cyclone launcher, that was changed in later books.  The other Flakk gun was an imperial Quad Gun from the Aegis defensive line, like the one on the imperial side that killed my Stompa.

I knew that flyers were going to be a big deal so I tried to bring as much AA and SF/Interceptor as I could (lootas, Flakk, Quad, 3 AA Flyers).  I was going to build a Ork Battlefortress with 3 Flakk Gunz, I just never got motivated to do it.

As for killing your army in the Stormeagle, I didn't know the rules ran that way.  I am sorry it happened that way (trust me, I know how you feel), but I didn't write the rules, heck I didn't even know what happened was possible.  If someone better versed in the rules was not there, I would not have known any better.  It seems unless you are a Necron, flying transports are risky.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:17:59 PM by Robert Camp »

Warhammer 40k
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 07:36:09 PM »
Hey, over all the event was great fun. The crap about Imoteck is just a side note and it has been ruled he will be played next year along with all other cron fun. After talking to Derek we have agreed that like all other HQs he will be, along with his bolts of death, limited to the same 36 in range that farseer and others are. This was how he was going to be played this year and never was going to bog down the game in any way. At most maybe 5 units he would roll on, not table wide. This was what had been said in Jan. and will be played next year unless changed otherwise. We all had a great time. It is truly an event that I want to be apart every year. This kind of talk back between players all apart of the game. For rules not being brought, that is uncool. I was told to have the new 6 ed. rules for the pylons and if others on my team did not have thiers then yes that order player has a right to be upset. However, at any time anyone can ask to see the rules of anything brought. No rules, no play. We should rest the damn Imoteck issues for this year, the game is over and I did not even bring him. Next year he is coming with limited range that will not create any table wide game bogging effects. I do agree that the nature of flyers has changed and the can be shotdown with ease. It is the way of the new game. I know for me at least 4 pylons will be apart of my list maybe more. I have always brought them and always will. Hey, they blow up easy when a baneblade unloads. Bring more baneblades. Over all I love this game, I love this store, and most of all this group of gamers. I want to play with no other group. Hey Camp, come our way for more games. I need another "dirty long haired hippy type" on my table. They all have crew cuts.

With respect,

Brandon

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
Hey I just wanted to add one more thing (especially since I never meet any of y'all before the game), there are no hard feeling on my part about the game or any of the players.  Still had an awesome time. 

Yes, I got upset, but it was not directed an anyone...hell, I play Orks...I LIKE watching my guys die, that is why I have so many of them...as long as it is from like a tank, or one of my weirdboyz blowing up.

Limping around all day before then (and the pain meds wearing out) didn't help my mood at that point.  Just wanted to say that I was sorry if I made anyone upset with the fact that I got upset (does that make any sense?).

SyRael,  maybe I will stop by Abington some night after classes start to have some new people blow up my Orks.

Warhammer 40k
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »
Lastly a model that did not have a special rule and there was no rule book to confirm its ability was killing my stuff left and right before my stuff could even do anything all because it had a rule played on it it was not supposed to have. I could not play a good hunk of the game because Flyers can be intercepted and oh look theyw ere carrying a good hunk of my army. If they get blown up AFTER they drop my army fine what ever they did their job but it sucks they get blown up before I have a chance to do ANYTHING.

I assuming this is a crack against my 1 Ork Flakkatrakk, unit from Apocalypse Reloaded (And I did have the rules there for it).  Similar unit to the Ork Flakk Trakk in IA8 and Imperial Armour Aeronautica (IAA), just with less armor and less weapons (and 15 points less expensive with a special rule about moving flat out and shooting that never came in to play).  It was not updated in the new IAA, but its gun was.  Ork Flakk Gunz have interceptor and Skyfire.  If Flakk Gunz from an old book are not the same as Flakk Gunz from a new book, I would have pulled off one loota and had a stronger vehicle that could fire even more.  I figured that it was like the DA codex and things like the cyclone launcher, that was changed in later books.  The other Flakk gun was an imperial Quad Gun from the Aegis defensive line, like the one on the imperial side that killed my Stompa.

I knew that flyers were going to be a big deal so I tried to bring as much AA and SF/Interceptor as I could (lootas, Flakk, Quad, 3 AA Flyers).  I was going to build a Ork Battlefortress with 3 Flakk Gunz, I just never got motivated to do it.

As for killing your army in the Stormeagle, I didn't know the rules ran that way.  I am sorry it happened that way (trust me, I know how you feel), but I didn't write the rules, heck I didn't even know what happened was possible.  If someone better versed in the rules was not there, I would not have known any better.  It seems unless you are a Necron, flying transports are risky.

No worries man its just a game and crap happens. I just wish I was a little more informed on how I could have saved my army heh. I finaly at least got to use my storm Talons for a couple rounds and they did earn their point values in destruction.

In the end its just a real big game of Army men with dice and rules nothing to worry about and I appreciate you commenting dude. As i said when I was there your Orks look awsome! You make Gork and Mork Proud sir!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:41:34 PM by Grand Master Steve »