Author Topic: Stormwall  (Read 2039 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Stormwall
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
I know I'm a bit late to the game but holy crap I love the Stormwall.

It really is 2 defenders duct-taped to a cyclone who happens to be borrowing two swords from a Stormclad  and while digesting 3 stormsmiths.  It's like PP realized that Cygnar players don't understand board control well enough so they put directions on a gigantic neon sign on the Stormwall box.

Granted only one game with it so far but I don't think I ever felt so in control of a game.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
Re: Stormwall
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
I think I am finally playing mine tomorrow vs. a Kraken. I'm a bit nervous about having so many eggs in one basket.

Which caster did you use, Rich?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
pStryker was my caster.  Alternating between snipe, then arcane shield then invincibility + arcane shield made for a painful walk across midfield for my opponent.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »
Ran him with Darius and two Centurions this weekend against eKaya. Probably not the best match up since Circle struggles vs. high ARM, but the Stormwall was the MVP.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
I still haven't picked up ol Darius. Him and Kara still aren't in my collection.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
He's interesting. I think the Stormwall breathed new life into him because he was towards the bottom of the barrel when it comes to casters. Sloan on the other hand is pretty fun.

The only thing for Cygnar I don't own at least one of is the Grenade Porter because... because it goes with Trenchers.

Rofel

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »
I need to practice some colossal vs colossal games. I've got 6-7 games now with my conquest, and it's taken some time learning how to properly field but I'm getting the hang of it I think.

Had a game of eSorscha vs Old Witch this week and the witch wandered a bit too close to the big man. I cleared some models and he took some free strikes on the way in. All he needed was one punch and he did 48 points of damage to the witch on a feat turn.

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
I need to practice some colossal vs colossal games. I've got 6-7 games now with my conquest, and it's taken some time learning how to properly field but I'm getting the hang of it I think.

Had a game of eSorscha vs Old Witch this week and the witch wandered a bit too close to the big man. I cleared some models and he took some free strikes on the way in. All he needed was one punch and he did 48 points of damage to the witch on a feat turn.

48 points is AWESOME! Thats what happens when you get too close to giant robots.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
48 is crazy.

In our game I was able to KD Kaya with Darius after his assassination run failed. The Stormwall, with three focus, just had to walk within melee of her to auto-hit. I didn't have to roll dice because dice + 6 (or is it 7) five times kills her twice over. I rolled to see if I'd one-shot her and I did.

These big guys are fun, although their growing presence makes me want to run pNemo and Thorn to just take one out of the game for the whole game (Voltaic Snare every turn?).

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
A little hamburglar action and hilarity ensues.

Rofel

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
I played a game versus Ed and we proxied the mountain king from a NQ issue. I didn't screen my conquest properly, very important lesson learned right there, and he one rounded it with the mountain king and a crazy buffed earthborn.

Then Gorman parked himself on the wreckage of the conquest and blackoiled the mountain king and earthborn into submission while the rest of the game progressed.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
I'm trying to get excited about colossals, but I remain unconvinced they are worth their points (outside the Stormwall, which seems fine). As a Khador player, I think I'd be happier fielding the Behemoth for less points.
beep bop boop

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »
I played a game versus Ed and we proxied the mountain king from a NQ issue. I didn't screen my conquest properly, very important lesson learned right there, and he one rounded it with the mountain king and a crazy buffed earthborn.

Then Gorman parked himself on the wreckage of the conquest and blackoiled the mountain king and earthborn into submission while the rest of the game progressed.

spd 12 earthborns are fun. :D

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
I'm trying to get excited about colossals, but I remain unconvinced they are worth their points (outside the Stormwall, which seems fine). As a Khador player, I think I'd be happier fielding the Behemoth for less points.

I can understand this. When you ask yourself "does this model outperform multiple jacks/beasts that total 19-20pts?" the answer isn't always yes. Especially when it comes to competitive play. The Stormwall is probably going to show up more than others since it is more than just a luxury item, it provides Cygnar with a model that is truly solid at both range and melee. And I think unlike some other factions Cygnar has good ways to defend its colossal (Cyclone for more templates, ATGM can pick off Gorman, etc).

I think Hyperion will show up a lot too since Ret myrmidons are a bit pillow-fisted unless you bring an Arcanist (which you will, but still). This thing will be P+S 22 with an Arcanist, never mind how sick the main gun it. I'm anxious to run it with Ossyan and Ravyn.