Author Topic: Armies of Immoren: The Protectorate of Menoth!  (Read 13741 times)

Paul Calder

• Email
Re: Armies of Immoren: The Protectorate of Menoth!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
I'm very very impressed.  It just blows my mind how excellent they look.
"All Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster"...rAmen

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 02:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, gents.

As of 11:54, my 350 list was fully painted. I just finished basing and varnishing. Bam! In your face, deadline!

I'll post pictures tomorrow. Also, Steph and I will be down Wednesday night for some games with our finished lists.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »
They look awesome you fucking bastard.
Seriously they are sweet.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »
Full army shot. Not the best quality. Hopefully they'll be seen around the store at some point.

beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
So the first stage of the Armies of Immoren project is finished. It was a great time and a lot of stuff got done. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my color scheme, I have excellent motivation to keep painting, and I'm really starting to learn how Reznik works on the table. On top of all of this, the games we've been playing have been quick, fun, and always enjoyable. There are some great opponents at Battleground.

Deciding on a 500 point list has been harder for me than working on my 350. The 150 point increase is a small window for additions and definitely limits options. With Reznik being a 'jack caster and my lack of melee might, I'm pretty much required to add a melee 'jack. That's a minimum of 68 points if I choose a light warjack. That only leaves enough points for a few solos or a minimum unit (which are almost never good). I've been fiddling with combinations for the last week or two and I think I've found a list I'm happy with. New additions will be in blue.

High Executioner Sevrath Reznik
     - Fire of Salvation
     - Redeemer
     - Revenger
Vassal of Menoth
Choir of Menoth (6)
Wrack
Holy Zealots
     - Monolith Bearer
Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist

Total: 498/500

Starting from the top, here's why each model found a home in my list:

Fire of Salvation

When I played against Khador or Terminus, I felt the lack of a heavy hitter the most. The only way to make up for that was to throw Reznik into combat, which can easily lead to defeat if he doesn't kill his target in one shot. Though he looks like the Butcher, he's no where near as survivable. Fire of Salvation hits HARD. Like, P+S 20 with a Choir hard. He also has a host of abilities granting him more survivability and maneuverability. Access to Trample attacks will be awesome! Of all the Protectorate heavies, he may be my favorite. Plus, he's brand new and I got excited.

Additional Choir

With the number of 'jacks I use, maximizing the range of the Priest's songs is extremely important. I had wanted full choir from the beginning but only have the points to do so now.

Wrack

When playing Reznik, I've had a lot of turns where I wish I had one more point of focus for a boost, an additional Firestarter, or to allocate to a 'jack. This guy will give me that point when I need it most.

Which Mercenary solo I was going to include in my list was the hardest choice I had to make. I was unbelievably close to taking Eiryss here for solo hunting, but didn't for a number of reasons.

1. Eiryss doesn't make you any friends. Some people get really, really upset when facing her.

2. Her disruptor bolt isn't as valuable in a Reznik list as his feat can remove focus for an assassination run.

3. Choosing Fire of Salvation meant there was no room for a Devout to protect Reznik's huge base. Keeping a warcaster alive trumps sniping.

So, in went Gorman for his amazing versatility and ability to block LOS to my warcaster or other key models.

I'm really looking forward to trying this list out. FoS looks like he's going to be a blast to play with and now I won't feel like a dick for taking a max Zealot unit with a Monolith Bearer.
beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Painting List
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »
As I finished the full Choir for last month's goal, I don't need to paint the straggler. Here's what I need to get done by December:

Fire of Salvation

Wrack

Since the list is so short, I'll also be painting Amon Ad Raza (who is a perfect swap for Reznik when I want a change), Kreoss, and maybe Feora.
beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
I played a few games Wednesday with the 500 point list. I'm really, really happy with it. Gorman is amazing in so many situations and Fire of Salvation is very, very good.

Gorman's rust bomb makes firebombs 2-shot most jacks! Also, Black Oil really puts warriors in a position where Reznik can reliably hit with unboosted spells. I'm happy to save focus anywhere I can.

FoS is great. Im going to have to get over the urge to run him out with all his bonus movement. Ive been overextending him and it hurts. But, the P+S 20 mace makes up for the lower POW of all my other attacks.

Over all, I think the jump to 500 rounded things out nicely.
beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
This guy was pretty quick but I'm really happy with how he turned out. I have a tough time painting black but after some trial and error I managed to get it done. Note: He is not shiny. That's my horrible photo skills.

He was really fun to paint. It was nice to take a break from the reds and sandy whites of the Protectorate.
beep bop boop

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
As always they're incredible.  You, sir, have some mad talent.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »
Fire of Salvation has been unbelievable. He's definitely added some much needed heavy hitting to my list. In fact, he's killed the majority of warcasters I've faced at 500 points. Alone, he's solid, but once one adds in the choir, vassal, and Reznik, things get silly. With Zealot's Rage and Reznik firing off a Perdition pre-charge, he has a 15" threat range (with pathfinder) and is swinging at MAT 8 with a P+S 20 weapon that strips upkeep spells. Boosting to hit, there are few models he'll miss.

I really think FoS brings the best out of Reznik. Perdition movement at 350 wasn't a big deal. I'd only use it if I needed to get Reznik a charge target and even then only sparingly. FoS is more expendable than my warcaster, so he can jump out in front for the big charges. As if that wasn't good enough, Witch Hound makes the enemy think twice about casting spells at anyone in my battlegroup, lest he generate more movement and attacks for FoS. Aside from his poor interaction with Brand of Heresy, it was like the two were made for one another. Sorry Kreoss, this 'jack is really Reznik's.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Gorman
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
Very nice photo. And Gorman kicks ass.
Sweet paint job... now if only I could get *something* painted ;-)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Fire of Salvation
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
Painting a 'jack after the 4 straight weeks of infantry was a relief. Spending my time on one model really simplifies the process and I don't fatigue as much mentally. I kept him in theme with the rest of my force, using the same reds and incorporating a small amount of the blue that's been making appearances every now and again. He was a quick one, clocking in at around 5 or 6 hours. Once again, the reds are darker in person. My camera fails.

Just a wrack to go and I meet the deadline!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:21:00 AM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Wracks!
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
About 3 hours for the group. They aren't perfect, but I have a tough time spending a lot of time on models that are 5 points each and blow up in the first 2 rounds.

beep bop boop

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Full 500 Point Army
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
This is a wide shot, sorry if it doesn't fit!

beep bop boop

Paul Calder

• Email
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 04:29:39 AM »
Mom wasn't kidding when she said, "Life ain't always fair".
"All Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster"...rAmen