Author Topic: Plainville Warhammer scene  (Read 2819 times)

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
Plainville Warhammer scene
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
Hello good people of the Battleground forums. I played fantasy many many years ago and got back into warhammer on the 40k side of thing about a year ago and with the rumors of a 9th edition fantasy about, I'd like to get back into warhammer fantasy. But, my Tuesday availability isn't great (kinda why I got into 40k instead), so I'm looking for insight into how and when the fantasy community works. Any games with regularity on Fridays or weekends? Any particular size game people play? Any help here before I spend a lot of time and money on something I might never use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Plainville Warhammer scene
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
Unfortunately, Tuesday is currently the only night of the week where there are regularly games being played.

I am going to make an effort to give WHFB some love in 2014, so maybe that will change.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
hi shwnlyns

Most of the local fantasy players just make plans to play on the forum or something. A lot of us just go to large tournaments 3/ or 4 times a year. There are a lot of competitive tournament players in the Boston area. Most of use just play each other. Hopefully 2014 sees more local events at Battle ground.

would be cool to do something that encourages new players.

As for random advise: The most common game size is 2500 points. If your going to play dwarves or wood elves wait a few months for them to get new books.Tomb kings are the worst, but look cool. Beast men are a close second. Daemons and Vampire counts are good army's and easy for new players. Just play what you like!

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
come check out the armys at the Bg tournament in January. I know a lot of people are bringing lest competitive armys with cool models. There are going to be some really beautiful armies at that tournament. Some guys are driving up from CT and they are some of the best painters around. They even have a podcast about painting. PaintingTabled.com

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
Yea, thought I would stop by for the tournament in Jan and see what's up. I still have a lot of the older model skeletons and some vampire and necromancer models so I thought I would continue with VC. Might also want to try something new but the rumors I've seen online about 9th edition look to be shaking rules up a lot. More events would def get me to take the plunge after I finish assembling my space marines. Might also be moving from providence to attleboro making getting to the store much easier and just like that I might have talked myself into it already.

King of the Elves

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:46:54 AM »
I am going to make an effort to give WHFB some love in 2014, so maybe that will change.

I like where this is going

MM3791

• God
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
Yea I wanted to rebuild my Empire army with Reikguard+ Emperor, but since so many tourneys ban SC it doesn't seem like a worthy investment.

New Dwarves and Wood Elves sound like good alternatives

The more support BG gives WFB, the more players will come out of the woodwork. 8th ed is by far the best edition to date, in my opinion  ;D

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Dwarfs seem cool but all their units seems very similar, just very slight differences in equipment and stats. I like a little variety in my armies.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
Yea Dwarves definitely need a major reboot, currently they are only functional in the shooting phase, and no magic.

Wood Elves on the other hand I can see a few tweaks, as they mostly share the same strengths as the other elven factions.

takenogundam1

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
I have been free lately on fridays and saturdays. If you want to play a game let me know....

I usually play on Tuesdays as well, but my job has been giving me weekends off. I have this Fri Sat and Sun off.

I can bring up to 2.5k of

Lizardmen
Warriors of Chaos
Beastmen
Ogres
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:56:09 PM by takenogundam1 »
Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
I have been free lately on fridays and saturdays. If you want to play a game let me know....

I usually play on Tuesdays as well, but my job has been giving me weekends off. I have this Fri Sat and Sun off.

I can bring up to 2.5k of

Lizardmen
Warriors of Chaos
Beastmen
Ogres

I just took the plunge and bought some models bit it will be a long while before it's an army. But when that day comes this kinda weekend gaming is more up my alley than Tuesdays. I got into 40k because Thursdays are perfect for my schedual but couldn't resist going back to my fantasy roots.