Author Topic: [Plainville MA] X-Wing Game Night - Every Thursday starting 1/23  (Read 7596 times)

Ringo67

• Paul's About.Me site
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] X-Wing Game Night - Every Thursday starting 1/23
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 02:17:32 AM »
I was able to get Thursday off, so it looks like I'll be there.

I've only run single ships in Sam's demos, but I've done a lot of studying. I think I've come up with a couple of good 100-point Rebel squads.

I'm not expecting to win. I just hope I don't perform too badly.
"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:01 AM »
I anticipate that lots of people will be trying to figure things out for the first few weeks.  :)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Is this a every Thursday tournament? Or a tournament tomorrow 1/23 with casual play every other thursday?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Honestly, starting X-Wing Game Night with a tournament was a mistake.  I should have started with a formal game night where people come down and hang out.

I plan to mix it up week to week.  Once we figure out what people like we'll do some sort of set schedule.  If I had to guess what a month might look like:

week 1 - 100pt tourn
week 2 - game night (open play)
week 3 - 100/150pt tournament (although time may prevent 150)
week 4 - some sort of special event.

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
Yea time might be an issue.  If each round is an hour long and starts at 7pm you aren't getting out until after 10pm with 3 rounds.  That makes it hard for me as I have to be up for work the next morning.

Not saying that tournaments aren't desired. I would love start seeing these and hope we can get people interested enough to see a community start to build up like we have with 40k. The game is a LOT OF FUN plus its a lot easier/less time consuming to have a pick-up game vs other games such as 40k.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 01:23:10 AM »
I now have the starter kit with two Tie Fighters and an X-Wing. And I already have an appointment to teach someone how to play next week. Yes, teaching the game that I myself just learned. It's really amazing how easy this game is to pick up!

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
I now have the starter kit with two Tie Fighters and an X-Wing. And I already have an appointment to teach someone how to play next week. Yes, teaching the game that I myself just learned. It's really amazing how easy this game is to pick up!

Easy to learn and such a tight rule set.   Plus it is Star Wars...how awesome is that.

Chase, I love the Xwing on Thursdays.  As for the tournaments, I think 100pts is the sweet spot.  We got three games in, and finished by 1130.  I think at 150pts, you will only get two games.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »
Chase - Had a lot of fun with XWing last night.  I think there were 7 of us playing?  Got to meet some new people too which was great. 

I like the idea of a bi-weekly event of some sort.  Really happy to see a bunch of people interested in starting too.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »
Just learned the game last night and although we played with just the starter set (1 x-wing and 2 tie fighters) it was a lot of fun. I could see myself getting into this game. And I love that the models don't require painting, I've already got too many assembled space marines sitting around in a box.

SiniStarR

• Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
Was really fun. It's great to see what people come up with when it comes to list building. And we can sit :P

Ringo67

• Paul's About.Me site
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
I have to agree, I had a lot of fun last night. It's great that we all seem to be at about the same level of experience. I finished third, losing to the eventual winner, and those were the first three games I've played. ;D

If another tournament is planned for Feb. 6, I'll try to get the night off so I can be there.
"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

Matthew

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
I'm glad everyone had a good time! Next week is going to be open gaming. Come hang out and play some games.

The week after, Feb 6th, we'll start the schedule Chase posted above. It sounds like everyone liked having a tournament every other week. We can always tweak it in the future if we need to.

week 1 - 100pt tournament
week 2 - game night (open play)
week 3 - 100pt tournament
week 4 - some sort of special event

I have a few ideas for special events.  If you guys have any ideas, want to try something out, let me know and we can add it to the schedule.  See you Thursday!

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »

I have a few ideas for special events.  If you guys have any ideas, want to try something out, let me know and we can add it to the schedule.  See you Thursday!

I know almost nothing about the game but an apocalypse style special event could be fun. Empire vs rebels, everyone playing the same game on a really long table. Not sure if or how it would work, just a thought.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
That idea will be looked into as soon as those new giant ships come out.  :)

GlassJoe

• "introducing in the red corner..."
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
Played in the tournament, had a great time.