Author Topic: Discussion 40k comp tournament  (Read 5948 times)

rdeane

Re: Discussion 40k comp tournament
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
It is unfortunate that I am both a procrastinator and this fell on one of the two weekends left before Adepticon. I was there with a few other "regulars" painting instead of playing and at least from the sidelines the armies as a whole looked much more diverse if nothing else. The komp system itself is not what I would define as truly balanced as Dan pointed out with some armies too harshly comped and others not comped competently. However, I for one would be very interested in playing in a similar event sometime after Adeption, maybe May? And I am sure that there are at least 4 others that would be able to make that date that missed this event.

Thanks again for running such great events Chase.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
May is looking like the "Narrative" event + a 2500 or 3000 pointer in Abington.  I'm cool with trying out another Komp event in June.

April will likely be an "off" month, which is timed fairly well in my opinion (Adepticon and PAX East).
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »
I didn't attend, but I am curious how the current scoring is set up? The same "win gets X points, loss gets y points, draw gets z points" style?

Yup, for the most part.

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
Ah. Did the Komp points yield to the in-game points to determine the win, or the external tournament points? I am curious if the system is designed to work with a different scoring standard. 3 VPs in a game is a lot, equal to a whole objective, so I'd be surprised if it didn't occasionally make a significant difference. If it was instead to the overall scores for each round, I could see the math tapering off a bit (Guy who got X points from a round 1 victory is still likely to be ahead of a guy who got a draw but with +3 komp, for example). But again, I wasn't there, so pure speculation on my part.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
The list that won was 0 points, I believe.

Chase, will you be posting results/lists for this one?

Dan Bunker

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
comp points did have an effect on the overall winner. Alex got 7 points from comp I believe and I lost 5 due to comp. would have been a draw if not for the bonus comp points.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
I'd be curious to see the final standings.

The Everliving

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
I picked up 5 from the comp system (+2 vs my first opponent and +3 vs my last, nothing for my second game as we were both 0 comp). I'm interested to see the final results as well - I have a feeling that given the potential 49 points that could be won in a game the +/- 3 point swing because of comp didn't have a huge impact. In a 20 point scoring system +/- 3 is a much bigger deal.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
comp points did have an effect on the overall winner. Alex got 7 points from comp I believe and I lost 5 due to comp. would have been a draw if not for the bonus comp points.

Unless you maxed out your battle scores and comp was the only difference, you cannot claim this as fact.

Besides, part of the whole point is that this is a puzzlebox.  You have to decide whether taking the unit/character/whatever that costs you a comp penalty will end up getting you more points than it costs you.   Certainly in this format it did, since the comp shifts were minor compared to the standard format.

Alex took a softer list(by the definition of the comp system), and scored almost the same amount of battle points as you.  By this system, what Alex did requires more skill (whether that skill is playing or navigating the komp is certainly up for debate), or perhaps a bit of luck.

Do you inherently disagree that a weaker list takes more skill to work with?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »
I'll try to post the results when I get into the store later tonight.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
I'll try to post the results when I get into the store later tonight.

Morning Chase!  ;)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
Haha!

I've been awake for about... 4.5 hours.  :)

Mike D

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
I have one suggestion for the next comp event.  PLEASE keep it at 3 points so that all the players that were unable to attend will get to try the comp system under the same conditions the rest of us just did.  Then we will also have a better sample size to gauge a 3 point comp system on.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing the lists everyone played.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:14:22 PM by Chase »