Author Topic: New Dungeons & Dragons product info (core books, art, price, etc)  (Read 3294 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email

Release Dates:
Beginner Box - July 15th
Player's Handbook - August 19th
Monster Manual - September 30th
DMG
- November 18th

Prices:
Beginner Box - 19.99
Core Books - 49.95

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Fantasy Roleplaying Fundamentals
Wizards RPG Team
Everything you need to start playing the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Explore subterranean labyrinths! Plunder hoards of treasure! Battle legendary monsters!

The Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set is your gateway to action-packed stories of the imagination. This box contains the essential rules of the game plus everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy.

Ideal for a group of 4 – 6, the Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set includes a 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started, a 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1 – 5, 5 pre-generated characters, each with a character sheet and supporting reference material, and 6 dice.

Player's Handbook
A Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook
Wizards RPG Team
Everything a player needs to create heroic characters for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

The Player’s Handbook is the essential reference for every Dungeons & Dragons roleplayer. It contains rules for character creation and advancement, backgrounds and skills, exploration and combat, equipment, spells, and much more.

Use this book to create exciting characters from among the most iconic D&D races and classes.

Dungeons & Dragons immerses you in a world of adventure. Explore ancient ruins and deadly dungeons. Battle monsters while searching for legendary treasures. Gain experience and power as you trek across uncharted lands with your companions.

The world needs heroes. Will you answer the call?

Monster Manual
Wizards RPG Team
A menagerie of deadly monsters for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

The Monster Manual presents a horde of classic Dungeons & Dragons creatures, including dragons, giants, mind flayers, and beholders—a monstrous feast for Dungeon Masters ready to challenge their players and populate their adventures.

The monsters contained herein are culled from the D&D game’s illustrious history, with easy-to-use game statistics and thrilling stories to feed your imagination.

Dungeon Master's Guide
Wizards RPG Team
Everything a Dungeon Master needs to weave legendary stories for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

The Dungeon Master’s Guide provides the inspiration and the guidance you need to spark your imagination and create worlds of adventure for your players to explore and enjoy.

Inside you’ll find world-building tools, tips and tricks for creating memorable dungeons and adventures, optional game rules, hundreds of classic D&D magic items, and much more!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:04:44 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

KingElthur

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • The Gate Stormers
Re: New Dungeons & Dragons product info (core books, art, price, etc)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:11:26 AM »
And so we venture forth, furthering our ceaseless march into a perpetual state of self-inflicted poverty........

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
Any word on converting 4E characters to the new edition?  I have three groups that will be affected.
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

uruz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:14:19 AM »
Having not looked at the rules for 5E, I would say that it's probably going to be as difficult as going from 4E to Pathfinder or 3.5. It's just a different system with different fundamentals.

It would be easier to go from, say, 4E to 13th Age. (I know that's irrelevant, but it illustrates my point, I hope...)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
Any word on converting 4E characters to the new edition?  I have three groups that will be affected.

I'm far from the authority on this type of thing, but I'd imagine it'll be pretty easy.  The problem is that the "feel" of a 4e character might be lost when converting over simply due to the fact that 4e makes use of powers and 5th doesn't.

If a character is a wacky race and/or class and makes heavy use of a specific power that might not have an action that's equivalent in 5th, then it might feel a bit odd.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
do you have any idea on book size?   ...50 seems steep if they are normal PHB size
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Mike Bringin' DaFunk

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
What are the miniature rules like?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
do you have any idea on book size?   ...50 seems steep if they are normal PHB size

Nothing yet.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
What are the miniature rules like?

You mean D&D Attack Wing, Mike?  If so, they're VERY VERY similar to the X-Wing and Star Trek rules + some differences involving ground-based combat.  I am extremely excited for it.

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »
I kind of am the authority, I guess. Converting 4e to 5th is a bit odd at first, exactly for the reason Chase stated: 4e uses powers, and 5th doesn't. That said, you can still make a fighter that can protect people. You can make a laser cleric. You can make a very stabby rogue. You can make a mage that focuses on battlefield control.

Specific mechanics will be lost, but if you want to approach character creation from the "roles" paradigm of 4e, you can. You're not obligated to, however; 5th doesn't assume any particular roles are present, and you can run for one or two people without worrying that all the bases aren't covered.

5th is also a 20-level game at the moment, so you might have trouble with epic-level conversions. Epic play may be included in the rulebooks when they come, but I haven't seen it in the playtest materials.

Regarding miniatures: the game supports miniatures play or not, depending on your playstyle. I haven't used a combat map since I switched over to 5th for Encounters, but that's by no means the only way of doing things. Throw down a grid and tell your players that you'll give them advantage for flanking, and you've pretty much got 4e combat right there.

Mike Bringin' DaFunk

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
Thanks Chase and Sam. I will probably get the books when they are released.