Author Topic: Summer Game  (Read 15528 times)

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Summer Game
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »
I imagine it's time to kick off a discussion of our summer game, as I have a feeling we'll hit a hard stop at the end of the current arc in Rick's game.  He wants an extended hiatus (three or four 3.5/Pathfinder type levels, which realistically will be most of the summer and part of the fall with our group), so we need a filler game in the meantime.

Because our game group consists of seven members, advancement-type boardgames (HeroQuest, Descent, and the like) won't really work.  These games are designed for 5 players or so.  We'll probably need an RPG.  Having talked about it no one has a strong preference, but a few demands have come up:

• No 4e - This one from Tom and Jay.
  • No D&D type Fantasy - This one from me.  We play a lot of D&D and this is a chance to branch out.
  • No 40k Games - People seemed willing but unenthusiastic about this.

Essentially, it really seems to come down to who has access to rules and is willing to run.  Jay is running a few different games now and bowed out, but other people are willing enough.  Steve had some ideas for a few one-offs.  I mentioned running superheroes game and a few people were interested.  I think it would make for a light summer filler.

If we are doing a superheroes game, I have a fair bit of material for the old Marvel Superheroes game, which is fine but has that oldschool feel to it.  Jay wanted to do Mutants and Masterminds, but I'm not sure if he means the 2nd or 3rd edition. 

Mutants and Masterminds is the go-to superhero system, so if people are going to spend actual money on the books, that's the only one I can really recommend.  There's also a more narrative-based 'free' rules set from some M&M writers called Icons.  I don't know much about Icons (yet), but I'm not sure that it's worth using over M&M.  We could also adapt some of the universal rule sets for supers...the FATE system, which is also 'free', comes to mind.  That game is more narrative-based though and isn't the typical kind of play that we endorse.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  The forums are really the only way we can discuss things as a group, so let your opinions be known.  Otherwise I'll get bored this weekend and begin building a game to shove down your throats.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:41:29 AM by Guu »

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
Re: Summer Game
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Well, if you hit the ground running and start making something, I'll bet nobody else would object at that point.
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
Even if we're doing a supers game there needs to be some group discussion about the kind of game it should be.  A few particulars that come to mind:

• Real world or imaginary world?  Some people like real world games, some don't
  • Modern day or some other time?  I'm guessing people want modern day but maybe someone wants to do WWII-era pulp or something
  • Established universe or unique universe?  I'm not personally a fan of doing any established universes.  As Rick mentioned they come with too much baggage.
  • What kind of power level?  I think we should go with X-Men/Spiderman kind of power levels.  Potent characters who aren't disgusting like Superman or the Silver Surfer.

That's all I can think of atm.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »
We could also try something really different with a super-heroes game...some sort of post-apocalyptic thing.  An age when superheroes doing superhero junk have destroyed most of civilization, or maybe normal humans have destroyed most of civilization in some kind of war against the superheroes.

Skarsnik123

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • I think thats how that rule works
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
To be honest with you Josh, I am willing to try the Marvel Superheroes game.  I always have a sweet spot for marvel over any other super hero universe.  So in the interest of new experiences I say lets do that one.  (also prevents us from having to buy new books :) )

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
Technically I think it's not 'Marvel' Superheroes per se; just the RPG system that Marvel exists in.

Basically, Josh and I were talking about it and more or less agreed that putting us in the same universe as Marvel would be too much for a relatively short game in a system that nobody is too familiar with.  So we won't be teaming up with the X-Men or the Avengers... this time.

At least, I think that's right...

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
I think Jay was talking about the system, and the old 1990's Marvel Superheroes was its own game and system combined.  I have a lot of reference material for it.  That being said, Jay specifically requested using Mutants and Masterminds, and as I own both books I'm OK with M&M.  I don't know the system as well but I think it's easier for everyone to pick up because it's based on d20.

I'm hoping we can have a larger discussion about the universe before committing to anything, but I, too, am a Marvel over DC fan, so you can expect the campaign to have more of a Marvel flavor.

I'm of the opinion that playing in an established universe is problematic; there's just so much baggage.  However, if the group wants to be in DCU or MarvelU that's fine with me.  We could also try a hybrid thing where we just decide that only certain heroes/villains show up.  Or we can go with a completely unique universe.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
I went through the characters that are completed and made a few minor adjustments.  Nearly everyone was in violation of the PL10 limit on attacks, meaning basically your bonus to attack and your damage with the power can't be more than PL*2, which is 20 in our case.  I swapped a few numbers around to make everyone fit.

Rick- You'd actually under-spent by a few points so I beefed up your defenses (the gadgeteer in the book spends on defenses).  I also had to move a few points around so that your bonus to attack with your energy beam + damage was 20.  (The main problem being your base dexterity was 3 instead of 2...seems like you followed the book for the most part.)

Jay- Your character was way over the limit for the combined attack bonus + damage.  I moved points into your move rock ability.  So now you're doing +12 to hit and 8 damage with your fists and you have a pretty respectable +6 to hit and +9 damage with a thrown rock.

Thomas- I had a little trouble figuring out what you were doing with your weapon power so I hope I got everything included the way you wanted.  I had to move a few points around for you as well to keep your ranged attack balanced for PL10.  I made some major changes to the way your character works, actually, but I think I did it the way you want.  I lowered your base strength and dex to 1 and 0, repectively, and gave your suit the augment stats power so you've got str 9 and dex 10 when you're in your armor.  I also tinkered a little with your equipment so you have your limo, cell phone, headquarters, and a secret comlink you can use to communicate with whoever.

Riley's character is about 1/2 complete so I didn't bother to try and finish it for him.  I think I'd be assuming too much as he hasn't picked any advantages, equipment, or skills yet.

In any case, I think you'll find your characters are more effective than they were before I went through them, but if you want to make any changes we can do it at the next session.

Skarsnik123

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
thanks for that josh, unfortunately i cannot show up on Friday as i have to work until 9:30.  super sorry.  Golem would probably be around the city causing accidental damage when the team meets him if u want to introduce him without me i understand, but the gamer in me would prefer you to wait for me till next session.
             Jay

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:54:23 AM »
Gaa... my character is at a severe disadvantage without a portable wall to hide behind!

Hmm... portable wall...

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »
I'm pretty under the weather and I'm not sure if I can do the game tonight.  I'll give you an update by noon.

Skarsnik123

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
well I hope you feel better Josh  but I am working until 900 tonight.  I will show up after work for about an hour if there is game.  If no game then I will just head home after a quick stop in the store.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
Let's just table the game this week. People can do the fatpack challenge instead.

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
I'll still be around.  Mostly because of boredom.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 01:24:39 AM »
How are things looking this week?

I'm sick again but I'm coming unless I lose my voice.