Author Topic: Finecast...Not fun  (Read 1854 times)

Brainvictim

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • If I haven't seen it, It's new to me!!!
Finecast...Not fun
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
I am not a fan of the Finecast.  Trying to put together a box of Obliterators and it's a pain to get the little knife edges to stay, I think I even cut it wrong and took a chunk from the armor   :-\  :o .  Has anyone else had issues with the mold lines looking like they are part of the figure or vice versa? 
There are questions I'm still not wise enough to answer, just wise enough to no longer ask.--GEORGE JONES

MM3791

• God
Re: Finecast...Not fun
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
I thought they were discontinuing finecast, but yea I've had issues with assembly. I honestly prefer assembling metal models over finecast, but hopefully in the future GW will make everything in plastic.

Alpharius?

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • Outside my mind
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
I feel your pain. I bought my first Finecast model a while ago and it was a mess - nothing fine about the cast I got (it looked like some squigs got into it and took a few bites). It's a real shame, as a lot of nice character models are only in Finecast at the moment.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
yup, it's bad. The Thunderfire Cannon I just bought the other day is full of pits and gnarly mold lines. And I would count of everything rolling over into plastic for a long time, although it would be great if they did.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
Just so you know if you think your model is defective or miscast, just contact GW and they'll send you a replacement one free of charge. Thier return policy is actually really good. It's one of the few things about GW you can't complain about.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Returns
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Parker781

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Funny fact, I bought a fine cast venomthrope from a game store and started to assemble. I noticed tons of air bubbles and was upset I had to green stuff their poor cast. I called gw and they set a free one as an apology. It was never sent so I called again and they sent two. I got those and they still were perfect cast.

But at the end f the day I got 3 for 25 bucks.

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
That's how I justify the cost of a finecast model -- I call and get a second one almost every time.

Also...for what it's worth, you can fix the "banana weapons" problem (and repose them) if you blow-dry them for about 20 seconds and then run them under cold water. In some cases they end up somewhat sturdier, I find.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

Brainvictim

• Heroic Tier Level 2
  • If I haven't seen it, It's new to me!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
The Issue I had, and I think after building 2 of the 3 obliterators I figured out, is that the cast line was blending with the weapons, which I in turn cut off the small piece that goes in the holding hole.  I think i figured them out, kinda, they at least look Okay, going to reprimer the figures once the glue sets.  The Abbadon the destroyer one is awesome, simple and easy to assemble.  The chaos champion with jump pack looks good, the jump pack i s a pain to get on, I cut a piece that holds him up thinking it was a cast line   >:( :o  but he still stands just need to be careful, think I will get him a different stand.
There are questions I'm still not wise enough to answer, just wise enough to no longer ask.--GEORGE JONES