Author Topic: D&D 5th Edition rules questions  (Read 1796 times)

tanatoes

• Always gaming
    • Email
D&D 5th Edition rules questions
« on: July 20, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »
Hey folks.  Since I'm getting back into D&D with the release of 5th Edition and haven't played any in a long time I'm encountering some things that seem poorly documented in the Starter Set and online Basic Rules but are probably obvious to anybody who has been playing all along.  I'm starting a thread to brainstorm answers to rules questions.

for example: When a spell requires an attack roll is that simply against the target's AC?  That seems to be what is implied but it isn't stated clearly.  The rules simply say (for example with Ray of Frost) that it requires an attack roll to hit.  So is it like a ranged attack but using your spell ability modifier instead of dex?

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
Re: D&D 5th Edition rules questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
It is a bit unclear mostly because of how much they simplified the process. Under each class and in the magic section it tells you what your magic attack modifier is, in general it's proficiency bonus+ spellcasting ability modifier. In the combat section of the rules it states that attack rolls are against armor class.

tanatoes

• Always gaming
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »
Thanks.  I suspected as much but wanted to be sure.

I'm enjoying how the streamlined rules of 5th ed lead to such a free flowing game.  Lots less time spent studying charts than when I last played D&D.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
How long will D&D be supporting the character builder online for 4th ed? Anyone know?
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"