Author Topic: new player  (Read 1680 times)

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
new player
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Tim and I recently discovered mini-wargaming.  I was hoping I could come down to the battleground store and observe some games being played and if someone has a moment of free time between games, or while waiting for an opponent maybe they could help clarify some of the rules and such.  I have the Battle for Skull pass, and I have played through the tutorial scenario so I have the basics for Warhammer Fantasy.  I also have two battlegroups for warmachine (I had heard about the game while I was picking what wargame to get into, and then happened to see someone selling "buy one get one free" Battlegroups, so I couldnt pass up the opportunity :))    I am also very interested in Warhammer 40k, but I do not have any pieces for that game.    If anyone thinks they might have some free time or wouldn't mind letting me watch their games of Warhammer fantasy/40k and/or Warmachine, and ask some questions, that would be great.

I dont have much experiance with hobby/gaming stores or forums so if I have stepped on any feet or posted in the wrong forum please take no offence.

all the best
-Tim

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: new player
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Hi Tim,

You are most certainly welcome to come in any time to observe a game of Warhammer and get to know the community here. We are very fortunate to have a great crowd of people that know the game very well, and although I can't speak for everyone, I'm sure that some of them would be happy to show you the ropes. Nothing is set in stone, but casual games are played most days of the week with Wednesdays and Saturdays being the most likely.

Come on in anytime though and introduce yourself.

Hope to see you soon!
-Derek
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »
Hello,

Though I won't be around for another week or two, I'd be more than happy to teach you how to play Warhammer Fantasy. I have a few armies that I could bring if I just happen to have one that you were thinking of starting I could bring that one down so you could get a feel for it.

I'll post on the Warhammer Fanyasy forum when I'm coming home and maybe we can work something out.

Ben

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
thank you both very much,  I have been in the store a couple times to get some paints, army books, and a board game (small world- i highly recommend it) and I am looking foreward to playing some games there.

When your back around, Poo the Great, I would love to learn fantasy, I am leaning towards the Orc army, because of all the special rules and general randomness of their faction they seem fun, and would love to play some intro games if you got the time.  Ill keep my eye out in the fantasy forums for you.

thanks a lot
-Tim

Poo the Great

• Paragon Tier Level 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »
Orcs are a definate fan favorite, though that is one of the few armies that I don't have, save for the Axe Skull Pass starter set. I will hopefully be home for good this weekend sometime (fingers crossed :P)

I should have a few days during the week that I can play a game if you're available. Unfortunately I can't give any definites until a few more days.

Looking forward to game, haven't played in a long time ;D

tcliff86

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
awesome,   I'm looking forward to some games to.   ill start brushing up on the rules and play though the game a couple times so I wont be to horrible. 

again, looking forward to it!

-Tim