Author Topic: Finding partners for the doubles tourney  (Read 5280 times)

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
Finding partners for the doubles tourney
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
Hi all,

I figured that if you're looking for a partner for the upcoming doubles tournament,  post here with your available army or armies.

I am (if you hadn't guessed) looking for a partner. I can bring Space Wolves, Grey Knights, or Eldar.

Dalymiddleboro

• Heroic Tier Level 2
Re: Finding partners for the doubles tourney
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
not 100% sure if my partner is going. If not, I've got Dark Eldar

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
Well, let me know if you want to team up, I could bring my Eldar. If you do, we can start list-building over email.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
Peter, Ron McKim (an Abington player) is interested in playing.  I've sent him in your direction.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
Yes I'm looking for a partner.  I have a Necron Dark Harvest Army from IA12.
But, I am a bit rusty not having played in a while.

"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
I'd be up for it,  but all I have are Eldar and imperial. If I understand right,  the allies table is in effect for this and so we would be "come the apocalypse" allies,  which is a big deal. Is that how it will work,  Chase?

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
I'd be up for it,  but all I have are Eldar and imperial. If I understand right,  the allies table is in effect for this and so we would be "come the apocalypse" allies,  which is a big deal. Is that how it will work,  Chase?

Yeah, all your stuff will have to deploy 12" apart from your teammate's (which can be a huge hassle) and you'll have to make One Eye Open checks if you and your buddy's units start a movement phase within 6" of each other.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »
Rob is right.  We're trying to keep some parts of 7th edition intact... as difficult as it may be.  :/

I was debating taking that rule out for this event...  I probably should have.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
well, I don't have many units anyway, so theoretically that shouldn't be a problem. 
But if it's too big a deal, that's cool, I'm sure there are a few other people looking for partners.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
Rob is right.  We're trying to keep some parts of 7th edition intact... as difficult as it may be.  :/

I was debating taking that rule out for this event...  I probably should have.

I think the 12" deployment thing is pretty harsh, it can be difficult for both players to put their models on the table (especially if they're playing high model count armies). And it's not like there's  particular advantage to Come the Apocalypse allies over battle brothers, because it's more advantageous to have battle brother allies. 

In 6e, you used to count come the apocalypse as allies of convenience instead of desperate allies. The only difference between desperate and CTA in 7e is the 12" deployment buffer. I'd suggest removing that or reducing it to 6" for the doubles would make things a lot more enjoyable for people who aren't running double imperials.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
@PeterG, if your still up for it so am I, I only have 4 squads, and one is an immobile sentry pylon.  So the 12" deployment shouldn't be too harsh.  I also have a small model count army.  The only stickler is that the named HQ from Dark Harvest requires it to be the the Warlord.  But, seeing that it's doubles that rule might be abrogated. 

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
Also @Chase, how about as a mitigating effect for "Come the Apocalypse" allies; allowing two warlords.  After all, they're not "really" allies so why would they share one warlord.  Just a suggestion to make up for armies not having two team members with the same army (which is both boring and maybe a little spammy).

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
Both are good suggestions. 

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 03:35:25 AM »
@cryptoron, its fine, let's assume that we will partner for the event. If we both find another partner with a more compatible ally, maybe we can do that, but for now lets start planning on it.

You can gmail me at likethesearchengine.

Goblin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »
i like the idea of reducing the 12" limit because it's typically meant for a single player who has a primary (say 1300pt of orks) and a allied detachment (like 550 of chaos marines) so you have a big force and a small force. that means typically you're deploying your main force more or less normally and your allied force gets squeezed a bit. in the doubles you basically have two primary forces and that often means they both get squeezed. it probably won't be a big issue with only 750, but for the 1k or 1250 each i could see it being tough.