Author Topic: Results: Warhammer 40k DOUBLES event  (Read 2613 times)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
    • Email
Results: Warhammer 40k DOUBLES event
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

Thanks to everyone that came out and made this event a great time.

Congratulations to the winners!

Players Choice 1st Place: Michael Kachanis and Sam Gould
Players Choice 2nd Place: Andre Morrow and Sean Harrison

Best Generals: Bill Souza and Ryan Deanne

Best Appearance - TIE - Andre Morrow and Chris Nelson

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
Re: Results: Warhammer 40k DOUBLES event
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »
This event was a lot of fun, and thanks to the BG crew for putting it on!

I've got two pieces of feedback I'd like to give towards mission design. Most missions (where were adapted from the NOVA missions) required us to have a unit from each team on an objective to score it, which basically meant we were playing 1500 points on each side with only half as many units that could get objectives because it took two per player. Also, with things like Come the Apocalypse restrictions, it can be very difficult for players  to score the objectives (especially since nobody knew what the missions would be like beforehand, so you couldn't plan for it). In the singles tournament, each mission had a separate track you could choose (typically one that scored per turn, one at the end of the game).  Maybe you could do a track where both players being on each objective works, and you score points like was listed in mission one, and maybe a 2nd track where you need one additional objective before scoring any VPs, but you can do it with only one unit from either player instead of one from each?

Another thing is, since BG doesn't use the win/loss box, each team can get max points in a mission and winning or losing doesn't affect their placement for the next round.  Unless both teams checked first blood, because only one team can get that, it's possible to have a max point game on both sides. You could make checking the win box worth 3 or 5 points or something (not sure what works best for the math, but you should get more for winning than the guy who lost gets), to factor in that these missions were typically meant to be played in a longer event than one that goes 3 rounds.

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
I totally agree that actually getting a win should count for several points.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
You didn't actually read all the missions then, if you think losers could score just as many points as winners in all missions.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
You didn't actually read all the missions then, if you think losers could score just as many points as winners in all missions.

I didn't say they could in all the missions, I just don't think they should be able to in any of the missions.

GrimSnik

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
I liked the way it was. I would change nothing. 

EXCEPT THAT THUNDER WOLF CAVALRY ON MY TEAM SHOULD ALWAYS BE ABLE TO RE-ROLL  FAILED LEADERSHIP TESTS AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO NOT HAVE THEM RUN OFF THE TABLE ON TURN 1 IN ROUNDS 2 & 3.   :)  :)  :)  :)  ;D  ;)   

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »
I actually liked the format a lot. This was the first 3 round single day tournament that really hit the nail on the head with battle points. Scoring points was difficult but not impossible and scoring max was extremely difficult. This means that you didn't have several teams with max points going into last round and multiple top tables which is tough to do with 3 games. Doing it this was made the points spread fine.

As far as the come the apocalypse gripe..you just have to take 16% chance your unit cannot act, probably worth it to grab the rare points. The team we played last round were CtA so they didn't have an issue.

Seriously though look at the rounds; ZERO teams got max on primary first round, ONE team second round, and four in the third. That makes clear leaders. As opposed to half the field a couple points from each other.

PeterG

• Heroic Tier Level 1
  • Space Wolves (and GK)
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »
I don't mind difficult objectives and light points,  but winning should be worth something on its own. A team that gets 4 points and a win should be ahead of a team that gets 4 points in a loss. That's just my opinion,  but I don't understand the opposition to giving maybe 3 points to the winning team.

Goblin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
As far as the come the apocalypse gripe..you just have to take 16% chance your unit cannot act, probably worth it to grab the rare points. The team we played last round were CtA so they didn't have an issue.

the 1/6 to not act is definitely not the issue, we made that trade at every opportunity in every game for points. it's the 12" deployment issue. there was no way without having fast units to deploy in the first mission to score your own two home base objectives, which should be (and is for non come the apoc allies) very easy to score. after that, scoring the wide side objectives is even more difficult since you basically have to have units that are fast enough to cross 2/3 the length of the table plus at least 1/4 the width of the table in only a few turns (since many games didn't make it past turn 3-4).

i don't mind that the missions were hard to score (in fact, i'd love it if it was roughly just as hard for all teams), it was just frustrating trying to score them as come the apocalypse allies. realistically, this is a doubles event and inherently more casual, i'd like to be able to play my army of choice with my teammate of choice without having to feel like we've been given an extra handicap. we used to soften the restrictions for 6th ed (since you had to) while still giving the fluff allies a boost, i'd like to see the same thing for future doubles.

and to be clear, i'm obviously biased here being a nids player :P but realistically, at that event the only guy i could have allied with to avoid the penalty was keith, and no offense to keith obviously, but i'm sure he would have rather played with troy as much as i'd prefer to play with rob. people want to play with their friends, go figure ;)

Nathan B

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
4 points is 4 points, but I agree with Peter G that winning should count for something. Perhaps number of wins could be a tie breaker in case of most victory points at the end of the tournament.

I'd like to ask for new missions next time. The most recent two tournaments I was at had the same missions in the same order.