Author Topic: Results: Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Event  (Read 1793 times)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
    • Email
Results: Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Event
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »

Thanks to everyone that came out and made this event a great time.

Congratulations to the winners!

Best General - Alex Fennell - Space Marines/Champions of Fenris
Second Best General - Jared Friedman - Tau/Imperial Knights
Third Best General - Michael Kiser - Chaos Daemons

Best Appearance - Michael Kiser - Chaos Daemons

Check back soon for details on our next event...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:47:39 PM by Matthew »

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
Re: Results: Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Event
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
Awesome time.  I loved the challenge and diversity of the missions and the ETC format.  Once it becomes the norm and more people are familiar I think the games will really run smooth.

Thanks as always BG for a great time.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Tsilber

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
    Great time, great 3 games. I need to really brush up on my 7th, lots of things I just didnt know. I appreciate my opponents patience with me, 7th plus all the tricks and gimmicks of DE was a bit rough for me to remember my first time around. Specially my final game, final turn, i forgot my Artisan formation had Eternal warrior when they went toe to toe with a balesword wielding DP.

But hell Im Still staying with mono DE though! just more scourges next time.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:45:15 AM by Tsilber »

fiesta0618

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
The ETC missions were very good.  I personally don't care for (and didn't plan for) Kill Points in every mission, so I didn't appreciate that...but that's on me, not the missions.  Very balanced, and though it takes some math, you get a very good idea of how the two players performed relative to one another.

Also...Thunderwolves...Thunderwolves EVERYWHERE...

Nathan B

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
First of all, I had a good time, and thought that the missions this time were better than the ones I'd seen in the past. Bravo for finding and picking them! There's the issue of kill points, where I agree with the other commenters, but fundamentally, strong rule set. I LOVED having more than one goal.

So, about kill points, I believe that every game I won, I won on kill points, and every game I lost, I lost on kill points. That's the issue. Let's say you have a deep striking squad, and the cards have given you an objective in enemy territory. In a pure maelstrom mission, you go for it, but in a mission combined with kill points, losing the unit would lose you the point you just gained, and you're often better off ignoring your maelstrom objectives. I don't want to be calculating everything all game long in terms of the kill points.

I do have a couple of specific suggestions that might work.

To lessen the impact of kill points, you could halve their impact, or have them only count in 1-2 missions. Kill points in WH40K has been reduced to a single eternal war mission, after all.

Also, the maelstrom edits were confusing. I have a deck of maelstrom mission cards, and they say things like one point for killing one unit, while the chart of edits said 2 points for killing 3 units. I *think* I always remembered to use the edited rules. And what happens when you run out of objectives? Using maelstrom cards as-is would make things a lot easier. Or give us simpler edits.

But again, great tournament, and I agree with fiesta that the missions were more balanced, and with MikeK very very much about the challenge and diversity! It was nice to not have every mission start with the same deployment, too.