Author Topic: Warhammer: "Age of Sigmar" coming in July  (Read 5866 times)

MM3791

• God
Warhammer: "Age of Sigmar" coming in July
« on: May 30, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »
Although it is not clear if "Age of Sigmar" is the name of the box set or the actual game, it is heavily indicated to be coming in about a month. Starter box is supposed to be all brand new models on round bases, with Sigmar Knights (not official name) Vs Chaos( warriors & daemons). Again, all models are supposed to be brand new. For fun, I've included the excerpt and pictures from End Times that foreshadow the future of the game.

Tyrion saw the light, and with it the revelation of a truth that he had known since his return from the dead. Karl Franz had not been reborn during the fall of Altdolf. His body had been restored, true enough. However, the will that drove it was not his, but that of Sigmar Heldenhammer, whose spirit who had been trapped [by Tzeentch] within the Wind of Heavens for more than two thousand years.

Sigmar Returns! Sigmar annihilates Nurgle's daemon army

Sigmar Rules! que Conan the Barbarian music

I wish I could make the pictures bigger  :P

Let the countdown begin ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:44:15 PM by MM3791 »

MM3791

• God
Re: Warhammer: "Age of Sigmar" coming in July
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
Here it is, the 2nd coming of Sigmar  ;)

MM3791

• God
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:33:31 AM »
Ok it's officially on GW's site http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Age-of-Sigmar

I want the rulebook whenever it becomes available

MM3791

• God
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »
All army books are being removed from sale on June 26th http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-Wood-Elves-EN

MM3791

• God
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
Big preview, looks like 4 main factions (with next-gen incarations/names of all the existing armies)

Order: Humans, elves, dwarfs, Lizardmen
Chaos: Warriors, daemons, skaven, beastmen
Death: Undead
Destruction: Orcs, goblins, Ogres

Also looks like all exisitng armies will be playable, and updated rules for exisiting armies will be availalbe on GW website

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:32:40 PM by MM3791 »

tilarium

• Heroic Tier Level 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
So what is everyone's impressions?  Honestly, I'm undecided.  While I mostly play 40k, I was brought into the hobby with Fantasy.  That's gone, and I'm kind of sad about it.  This new game looks interesting, but it's not Fantasy.  I know I can use my fantasy models to play this new game or even still play fantasy based on the wording of the army books (which are free, so kudos to GW for that!).  The new models look good, even though I'm upset they stole the idea I was going for with my 40k SM chapter. 

What does everyone else think?

MM3791

• God
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
I too, am honestly undecided. WHFB has been replaced with AOS, and they are certainly different games. On the plus side, it literally costs nothing to try because all the rules are free, and I can't see why players can't proxy their 40k models to test out an AOS game. I'm happy they kept the old armies so players didn't feel pressured to immeditely buy the new stuff(or quit, though I'm sure some will anyway).. the new models are awesome and supposed to have new releases every week for a while.

I'm also digging the new fluff, which moves the universe forward, but also retaining some continutity with the old universe too. Officail trailer is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQseMwiSYY

At the end of the day, it certainly can't hurt to play test a few games. It has potiential, but with only 4 pages of rules I think it is definately geared to a more casual audience. I wanted to try a game in the next few weeks
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:58:51 PM by MM3791 »

MM3791

• God
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
Ok, at second glance it seems the individual warscrolls add a lot more depth & strategy, and the stream lined hit &wounds make a lot more units viable.

takenogundam1

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
I think everyone needs to give this a chance. There are already rumors of a brb coming out later in summer, which would mean another layer of depth.

Sure there are complaints. Balance seems to be the biggest. That I believe I have a solution too. Everyone agree on a Warscroll size. If one army ends up outnumbering another, then the Sudden Death rules apply.

My only question: On some of the warscrolls, in certain entries like Undead, Daemons, and Lizardmen they say that wizards from their faction know a summon spell. It then gives a casting cost and says you can add a unit of the summoned creatures to your army. One in particular was Saurus Oldblood. Can a Slaan really summon a Oldblood each turn if the cast is successful?

Monsters are viable again. Cav are viable again. Undead can mix. Chaos can mix. Cannons are toned down. Magic has been toned down. Beastmen and Brets have updates. There are no more required selections, no more core tax. Most importantly there are no more $400-$600 buy ins. A single battalion box is a good sized force.

Additionally, we as a community could adapt 8th ed  rules for more indepth and classic games if worse came to worse.

I for one will be playing this as soon as I print the PDFs.
Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
This "game" isn't even a game, the ruleset is not complete and the cards are repetitive in terms of abilities.   All cheap horde units have the same rules,   Demons and lizards have the same rules.

There is nothing "deep" in this game.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
BRB pre order looks like this weekend, $74 for regular and $130 for Limited Edition. Chase can you confirm?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:11:21 PM by MM3791 »

Bkyle

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
I've tried it out and had fun, although we've used a set of house rules added to the 'core' pdf and assigned point values to models based off of their stats; we also measured from the base.  Visually the game looks better as units crash into each other and a swirling melee ensues.  Sure you can keep your models up to 1'' apart but I didn't really see a reason too and kept my units ranked up and on movement trays until they hit combat, that also made pile in moves easier. 

A lot of the units have similar stats and rules... but it also means models that were crap in 8th can actually be used to some effect.

Parker781

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
Fantasy has always been my true driving force in my model/gaming hobby life and definitely feel the pain. There is a lot of good things coming form the change my personal favorites are: easily updatable and free rules/armybooks, individual models have more significance because performance isn't based on the other model, the game isn't a treasure hunt in the book half the game (even on the first game ever) and all the armies are still available which personally I thought wasn't going to be the case.

I've tested out the rules and having been watching several videos but I want to set up a game, if anyone is interested in trying out Age of Sigmar at Abington or Plainville please send me a message or post here and we can set up a game. (casual, with an attempt at balance/fun would be what I'm shooting for, unless they release some balance/army list builder in the next few days.) I have a few painted armies to play with especially with the lowered model counts needed so if you're interested in trying out AoS but don't have models that would be cool too.

naptragichen

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
Parker781: I'm interested in trying out AoS. I have numerous fantasy armies and would like to try them out.  I am equal distance to either store so which ever works for you.  What days and times work for you?
Hakuna Matata

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »
BRB pre order looks like this weekend, $74 for regular and $130 for Limited Edition. Chase can you confirm?

I can confirm that a book called "WARHAMMER: AGE OF SIGMAR BOOK" goes on sale 7/11 and that it will be $74.00.

I can also confirm that it's listed as "Other Book" in the email I got today.  "Other Book" is never a rule book though.  They call rulebooks "Book."

/shrug
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel