Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Singles Tournament - 11.21.15  (Read 3765 times)

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

MM3791

• God
Re: Warhammer 40k: Singles Tournament - 11.21.15
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
Are HH Legiones Astartes allowed? It does say Forge World..

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »

30k is not 40k.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »

30k is not 40k.

Let me elaborate -

The HH legions, while being space marines, and while some what being compatible with 7th edition 40k, are not, in my mind, fairly balanced.  While there are updates to the rules, the Age of Darkness is quite a different beast and walking into a 40k tournament with an entire games worth of rules set to present to an opponent who most likely has never seen or heard of them is a daunting task and one which puts the onus on your opponent to figure out what becomes a priority to deal with.

And as a TO, i'd much rather not have to deal with it.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
Ok fair enough, btw GW will be releasing HH in November.. so I guess it's a moot point now. The video and sprues have already been leaked lol

MM3791

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
For the record, 30k and 40k use the exact same core rules. Moving, shooting, CC, and psychic powers are identical. The legion rules are no more difficult then any other new chapter, it just adds more variety. Primarchs are overrated and could easily be blown apart by Tau and Eldar, although other factions might struggle against them. I understand if tournament organizers don't want to mix the two, but they really aren't that different then any other codex.

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
They're releasing a board game.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

fiesta0618

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
For the record, 30k and 40k use the exact same core rules. Moving, shooting, CC, and psychic powers are identical. The legion rules are no more difficult then any other new chapter, it just adds more variety. Primarchs are overrated and could easily be blown apart by Tau and Eldar, although other factions might struggle against them. I understand if tournament organizers don't want to mix the two, but they really aren't that different then any other codex.
I doubt there's a ideological basis for not mixing them; I suspect it's just an effort to maintain "manageable complexity."  There's already a lot of base knowledge required to play 40k, and adding 30k to the mix could be a problem.  For example, a 40k-only player paired against a 30k army in an event would have a hideously steep learning curve, and would almost certainly run well over the time limit.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
I doubt there's a ideological basis for not mixing them; I suspect it's just an effort to maintain "manageable complexity."  There's already a lot of base knowledge required to play 40k, and adding 30k to the mix could be a problem.  For example, a 40k-only player paired against a 30k army in an event would have a hideously steep learning curve, and would almost certainly run well over the time limit.

How? 30k uses the exact same rulebook (BRB) as 40k.. it has the exact same rules. The Legiones Astartes book is basically the codex for legions, and the specific legions are almost the parallel of chapter tactics. Also Primarchs are Lords of War and  couldn't show up in any game less then 2000 points anyways. It's no different than learning a new codex, it is the same game especially and says that it's a "40k supplement". Either way it was a valid question, I don't mind if it's not allowed, I just curious because other 40k supplements were allowed.

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
I'd have guessed that you did mind, seeing as the organizer said no and you felt the need to educate him. Regardless of the reasoning, the ruling is very clear.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
2 weeks to the Highlander, please send in an email is you wish to attend.