Author Topic: half way done space marine army  (Read 2661 times)

deathwatch101

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
half way done space marine army
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
can some one give me suggestions im halfway done making my blood ravens space marine army and wondering wat else it needs so far i have 
1 8 man tac squad
1 6 man sniper squad with missle launcher and sniper rifles
1 vanguard squad with 2 plasma pistols and 2 marines with storm shield and power weapon
1 rhino transporting the tac squad
1 land raider
1 predator with twin linked las cannon
1 5 man terminator squad with lighning claws
1 5 man honor guard squad
1 librarian
and one chapter master with plasma pistol and thunder hammer
i am also think of throwing in 1 squad of grey knights

any suggestions would be appreciated thx all

moonie
Knowledge is Power,Guard it Well

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
Re: half way done space marine army
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
more tactical marines, with only 8 of them, you can't take any heavy or special weapons for them

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »
MOONIE!!!! You should give up already, my wolves are gonna eat your ravens =P

-Alley
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
more tactical marines, with only 8 of them, you can't take any heavy or special weapons for them

Bryan is the resource for all things marine.

Also, more tactical squads in general.  Don't just get 2 more and say "There, 10 man.  Done."

1 of everything seems kind of cool, but you should have multiples of your troops.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
I agree. You should focus more on making it stronger in one or two areas than having the strength spread about across everything, that leaves a small amount which doesn't really help.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

Passmod

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »
can some one give me suggestions im halfway done making my blood ravens space marine army and wondering wat else it needs so far i have 
1 8 man tac squad
1 6 man sniper squad with missle launcher and sniper rifles
1 vanguard squad with 2 plasma pistols and 2 marines with storm shield and power weapon
1 rhino transporting the tac squad
1 land raider
1 predator with twin linked las cannon
1 5 man terminator squad with lighning claws
1 5 man honor guard squad
1 librarian
and one chapter master with plasma pistol and thunder hammer
i am also think of throwing in 1 squad of grey knights

any suggestions would be appreciated thx all

moonie

Hi,

Tactical Marines!
I have a Raven Guard army, Scouts are supposed to be my main troop choice, yet I keep 4 Tac Squads ready to go.

Assault Marines for sure, they are really useful for taking out those pesky Tau or IG armies that are all over the place at Battlegrounds.

A Dreadnought or two, they are very versitile, Beasts in close combat and whatever you want them to be outside of close combat (I prefer Las Cannons).

and my biggest recommendation...
Devastator Squads, I ALWAYS use at least two Dev Squads, most often with 4x Missile Launchers. They are always the MVP. If they are not killing units they are absorbing a large amount of enemy gunfire allowing my other units free passage across the board. Dev Squads are HUGE for a Space Marine army.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Imperial Fists
W: 1 L: 0 T: 0

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Trade Offs and Trends
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
There's a lot of specific advice above that isn't bad, and I won't knock it.  I'll get a bit more abstract, expanding on a few points.

You'll need to knock out enemy armor.  Someone mentioned missile launchers.  I preferred lascannon.  Whatever.  In a 1500 to 2000 point game, my old rule of thumb was seven lascannon.  Sometimes I did it with dev squads, sometimes with tanks.  I'd scatter around power claws and melta bombs as insurance in case the long range stuff wasn't enough.  But you start with just enough anti-armor to get along....  then spend every other point available on anti-infantry.

That's balance.  You have the tools to handle what is coming at you.  The flip side of this is imbalance.  You want to present the enemy with a problem that he hasn't the tools to solve.  It doesn't do you a heck of a lot of good to have one fast moving squad, whether it be in a rhino, on bikes, or with jump packs.  One fast moving squad will get clobbered before it gets in.  If you are going for speed, you need enough speed that the opponent can't kill all of it before it arrives.

Similarly, one tank won't last.  The other guy will have enough anti-tank to kill it quick.  It is unfortunate, but one approach to the game is to go either all infantry or all mechanized.  The opponent's weaponry almost has to be balanced between vehicle killing and infantry killing.  If one presents the enemy with either all armor or all infantry, a good sized part of his guns will not have appropriate targets.

You are going with a highly diverse force, a bit of everything.  Such a force might be played to create unit by unit mismatches.  Whatever the enemy has, you will likely have the right counter.  At game time, you will want to look carefully at which of your units tries to match up against which of his.

But some opponents try to win by over specialization, by presenting lots and lots of one sort of thing.  They win by army selection rather than maneuver.

One more trade off is quality against quantity.  As a marine player, you have already chosen quality.  You will put fewer guys on the board than most non-marine armies.  (Necron are an exception.)  If you play a lot of marine on marine battles, you might learn that it is cool to have higher quality than the other guy.  To defeat the other marine's strong armor, it is often cool to go for every armor defeating weapon one can get, to tool up one's leader types as much as possible.  In marine on marine action, often the guy with the fewest models has an edge.

Just watch out for the horde army.  You might encounter an orc green wave, an infantry heavy guard army, or a swarm of Tyranid.  If you go too much for quality, your model count could get way low, and you just won't have enough guns and swords to take out the other guy's superior numbers.  Having an ultra mega doomsday gun might let you double the toughness and penetrate the armor of an advancing guardsman, but he is going to have buddies.

Those are some of the trade offs.  There is no one solution.  From time to time I've encountered a store where people think they have found an optimal solution.  Rhino Rush was such a fad years back, armies of nothing but close combat marines in transports.  Yet for any approach to playing the game, if enough players start doing the same thing, lots of other players will tune their forces to stop it.  I for one always liked to buck the trend, to not follow the popular fad of the day, but to tune my force to give the fad of the day fits.

For now, I would say build up your basic troops.  Your numbers are low.  I'd also look for one type of model, one aspect of the game, that you are drawn to, that works for you.  Emphasize that.  If it is something no one else is really into, this might present your opponent with a problem they don't know how to solve.  Alternately, it might be because the unit you like is flawed.  There might be an easy counter.  Asking around before choosing your point of emphasis might be prudent.

Hope this helps!

Bob

deathwatch101

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
thx for the suggetstions and i think u are right bob cause i have really like the grey knights 4 a while and my armys fluff has thenm mentioned alot so i think that will be wat sets my army apart from other space marine armies maybe 2 or three squads of allied grey knights should help me out now as allies do they still count as troop choices?

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »
Grey Knights are still troops, yes.  It would be two squads of knights, rather than three.  Check the Demonhunters as Allies box on page 21 of Demonhunters.  There is a maximum of two troop choices allowed as allies.

Grey knights will pull you in the direction of quality.  They are really good in both shooting and close combat.  They are expensive in points, thus will limit the size of your force.  Going that way could be interesting. The Inquisition is definitely one of the more flavorful parts of the game, though they are not a power gamer's choice.

xxxMIDIANxxx

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
i hate your terminator assault squad with chaplain and your grey knights  ;D destroyed me today

deathwatch101

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Thx lol good game tho