Author Topic: Motivation  (Read 5374 times)

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
Re: Motivation
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »
i sit down, spread out what i am going to do, then turn my head and stare at the all the goblins i have to paint.  they laugh at me with their bitty eyes and toothy grins... they laugh at me and i cry...

then i threaten the snotlings with feeding them to the troll.

then i put one some movie i have watched a million times and after 10 mins when i get board and have to do somthing i am motivated enough to start painting..

dont let the goblins laughter get the better of you is my tip for the day
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »
What a funny thread. As I sit here and look at a pile of models that have been turning from unpainted to painted for what seems like an eternity.

*******Serious answer warning*****************
Motivation is a tough one. There's Goal oriented, standards and just how do I keep going when I've been painting for hours?

Standards, Don't play with the mini unless it's painted. seems rough but it works.  You also tend to buy a little less of the expensive toys because you don't get to use them. Wost casee, f you really want to play with that new toy, it has to be 3 color minimum, that works for me most of the time.

Try and build with a goal in mind, that is a particular army list. Don't start anymore projects until that one is done. Or Target a Tournament. GT is a motivator for me each year, the Mega battle was a great one earlier this year.

To start painting and keep painting, I personally like painting in small chunks but that is not enough to get through an Army, so I take the following approach. Find a quiet spot in your abode, make sure you have plenty of light and a TV\DVD handy. Then with a pile of your favorite war movies sit down and paint. I spent a few hours last week painting drop troops with Blackhawk down playing on the computer. I got through that movie and started another. That equated to a ton of painting.

Another option is to paint with friends, I've done this at my home or at a store, that works too. Of course I can't really get my stuff to the store to paint, but maybe that's an option for you?

And to top it all off start a photo blog to share with people who may give you some encouragement and post WIP pictures. That also helps so I've found. take a look, just hit reverse on the slide show to get the chronological view.

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/firefly105/Road%20to%20GT/?albumview=slideshow

Cheers,
A
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »
Wow, your painting area is incredibly neat, thats not normal. Maybe you havent been painting for long enough, im fairly sure thats not the case though. You must just be crazy.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
That is pretty cool, Alan.  Thanks for sharing.

I found some motivation.  As a side note, the movie "the mist" is about a 'nid invasion.  I was able to get front armor reinforced on the plaguetower, pictures coming soon.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:37 PM »
Excellent! Looking forward to the pics!

Cheers,
A
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Dark Angel Cadaver

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Myspace
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 11:21:12 PM »
As a side note, the movie "the mist" is about a 'nid invasion.

Ya, but i think GW whatched every "Alien" movie like 5 times right before making Tyranids.