Author Topic: Paintbrush Wear and Tear  (Read 2118 times)

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Paintbrush Wear and Tear
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding paintbrush maintenance.

I notice that after extended use of my paintbrushes, the bristles start to bend, and eventually start to bend into different directions.  This is most apparent when I'm painting with a small brush (ie - a 10/0 brush), and when I'm trying to do some small to fine detail work, the bristles aren't "closed together", so to speak, and then I get paint on parts of the model I'm trying to avoid.

Is there a way to fix this, or a way I can adjust my painting technique to cope with it?  Or should I just get a new brush all together?

Thanks a lot!
~Ben
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
Re: Paintbrush Wear and Tear
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »
Well, there are certain bristles that should be used depending on the paint being used.

I use GW paint and the GW brushes and have no probs. When I use GW paint with cheap synthetic brushes, they curl like crazy.

I would look at the paint and see what they recommend.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
I've found that it is normal wear and tear, but it shouldn't happen fast.  The biggest thing to watch out for to keep up the shape of them is your cleaning of them.  While I'm sure you're careful, make sure you always wash them off completely (never let paint dry on the brush), don't press the paintbrush against the bottom of the water pot/bowl when washing them, and leave them out of the water when not needed.  I've also kept the plastic coverings the paintbrushes come with and always put them back on.  It makes sense to me that it would stop separation.

Also, make sure you use the brushes for what they're intended.  Don't drybrush with a fine detail brush, don't use a small drybrush to basecoat large things.

Another alternative is to do what you're doing with cheap brushes, so that when they start going bad you can replace them and still spend less than one good brush.  ;D
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
Thanks, Rob.  I've done just about everything you've suggested, and yet they still tend to bend and separate.  I'll do my best to be extra careful, I guess.

One other question:  When cleaning them, I do notice a build up of paint towards to area of the brush where it connects to the brush handle.  I usually use my finger nail to kind of scrap it off by scraping towards the tip of the brush.  Should I continue doing this, or is there another way of getting rid of that build up?

Thanks again!

Warhammer 40,000

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
Well, there are certain bristles that should be used depending on the paint being used.

I use GW paint and the GW brushes and have no probs. When I use GW paint with cheap synthetic brushes, they curl like crazy.

I would look at the paint and see what they recommend.

The paint I use is the GW brand.  The paint brushes I use come from a hobby shop, who have their own line of painting tools and products.  They also sell and promote Warhammer, so I'm confident that their materials and tools are intended for usage along with GW related things.  So unless there's something else I'm missing, I guess the only thing I can do, like I said before, is be extra careful.

Thanks!

Warhammer 40,000

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
I've recently started using "Pink Soap", got it in Michaels, a friend of mine recommended it. Pink Soap is designed for cleaning paint brushes. I've try to clean off my brushes at the end of each painting session. From what I can tell by the color of the water, it's certainly getting my brushes cleaner than I am using just water and a paper towel.

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »
Thanks, Rob.  I've done just about everything you've suggested, and yet they still tend to bend and separate.  I'll do my best to be extra careful, I guess.

One other question:  When cleaning them, I do notice a build up of paint towards to area of the brush where it connects to the brush handle.  I usually use my finger nail to kind of scrap it off by scraping towards the tip of the brush.  Should I continue doing this, or is there another way of getting rid of that build up?

Thanks again!

That paint is actually one of the most dangerous to the paintbrush.  The best way to fix it is to simply avoid doing it.  Don't dip your brush in far enough to get the paint there, try to avoid brushstrokes that will push the paint in there.  If paint does get there, I'd usually say try a chemical instead of scraping it off.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »
I buy new brushes 'cause I'm lazy :/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
i just spend more time fixing those inevetible mistakes that i will make...because i dont make much money