Author Topic: General idea for happier boards  (Read 4552 times)

skavengear

General idea for happier boards
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
Just throwing this as an idea since i heard derek was making changes/maintenance to the boards:

why not have three layers of categories in the boards; the first layer being the one we see when we first get on, then a list of subcategories on the subject, then the actual topics/threads. an obvious example for all of the game categories would be:
{Game Title}
   New players help/discussion (so new people dont get in the way of pros)
   Rules questions (for things like the vindicator thread)
   Game Planning (to set up games)
   bitz/modeling help (for people who need a weapon bit or model etc)
   List help (to get people who already play to get help, new players use new players to do this)
   misc discussions (anything else)

then possibly put the green arrows just in the second layer, so that people who want to be organised or ignore certain threads have a heads up about what type of thread it is.

for a better example:
>Warhammer 40k
   new players
      > new post today by skavenknight in Starting game, playing tyranids
   rules
      no new posts since last visit
   bitz
      > need meltaguns for guardsmen

so does anyone like this idea? i figure its not such a big change as it is an orginization of threads by type instead of just by what got looked at most recently. this would make it so veterans dont get upset over new people like me asking 50 bazillion questions and new players arent intimidated by discussions over their head. its just a suggestion, not an attack on the boards, which are fine the way they are. this would just encourage new people to play/post more freely and for veterans to bypass the new player threads to talk about their things (like say, the mega battle, bigger games, tournaments and painting/conversions). ont that matter a thread area for new battlegrounds events like encounters doubles tournaments, and big release parties would be a good idea to promote them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:43:44 PM by Skavenknight »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: General idea for happier boards
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:41:08 AM »
I would definitely expect some changes with respect to the message boards in the near future.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:46:59 PM »
why don't we just go back to the original forum lay out.... just a big list of every post with reply coming off the bottom all on one page.
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

skavengear

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
because I think derek and chase wanted things more well-organized. plus, dave want more smileys so he can express full range of emotions

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
because I think derek and chase wanted things more well-organized. plus, dave want more smileys so he can express full range of emotions

*Woosh*
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:10:55 AM »

*Woosh*

I just thought it was a low flying plane.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »

I want this smiley:  ^_^

DarkAngelsGuy

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
I would acutally keep the boards the way they are and make minimal changes. I think the layout is quite exceptional in organization - and I'm normally independent, not conservative so that says a lot.
I like to go home, pour some whiskey, and have a surplus of units to pick from.

You are a scholar.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:23 AM »
I made some changed last week and I think they went almost complete unnoticed.

I am very pleased with the layout of the boards at this time but I am not happy with their performance.  With any luck the boards will be changing over to something a bit better soonish*.

*probably the not too distant future, which is a little longer than the foreseeable future.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel