Author Topic: question regarding a broken power  (Read 1689 times)

skavengear

question regarding a broken power
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
if you look in the phb3 pg66 you will see the monk daily power spinning leopard maneuver. notice something strange? there is no limitations and wizards errata only said it should be 2d6 damage to be at the same level as other powers.

so take this example with my thri kreen monk with speed 10 (7 natural, boots of striding, 2 feats that add +1 move) can shift back and forth being adjacent to the same target 5 times. this means 5 attacks that deal 3d8 (or 2d6 if dm wants to use errata-ed version) to a single target.

my question is, without trying to be a troll, is this correct? bare in mind this is a level 1 daily power. so even at level 1 it could get as many as 4 attacks

b00bn00b

• Yoo look perty
    • Email
Re: question regarding a broken power
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »

I don't see a problem with that. If there were more than one enemy on the board it would get even more attacks...one for every adjacent opponent.  The next power (Whirling Mantis Step) specifically notes you can only use it once on each opponent, and that is not mentioned in the Leopard Maneuver. Feel free to kill everyone in range because it is a shift, not a move.
 Welcome to Monktown.

skavengear

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
it just seems wrong to be able to deal 10d6 + 55 damage with any level 1 power, even a daily. that almost seems WORSE than the super healer problem

b00bn00b

• Yoo look perty
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
Monks have always been OP, looks like that carried through to 4.0 
 It does seem a little unbalanced with the other daily powers which look like they add another effect instead of the max dps (~85dmg for this power).
the other powers average out to...... i pulled these off my (minotaur)monkey:

6d10 +15 slow (if 3 creatures) ~45dmg, slow
6d6 + 10 + ongoing 3 (2 creatures) ~38dmg, ongoing 3
3d8 + 5 (Burst 2) add reach 2 (could max out higher than the leopard) ~17dmg/each