Author Topic: need help making a rust color for painting.  (Read 1862 times)

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
need help making a rust color for painting.
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
see title.

Mattarias

• The Fire burns forever.
    • Ex Incendia et Flamma
    • Email
Re: need help making a rust color for painting.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:01:19 AM »
Try drybrushing orange and brown. It's simple, but it works. For vehicles, use a small-ish torn sponge instead of the brush. Just my two cp.
Ex ignis, lux.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »
When I was painting my Necrons I used a three part "wash" on all of the joints. For the first part I used a Flesh Wash and would allow it to spread beyond the joints. Second, I used Chestnut Ink over the dried Flesh Wash area. The Chestnut Ink should be applied in a more controlled way, so that it doesn't "spread" the way the Flesh Wash did. This will create a very basic layering effect. Third, I would use Brown Ink, focusing only on the deepest recesses of the joint itself. This would make it look like the rust was at its worst deep in the joints.

Unfortunately, these three paints have been discontinued, but you should be able to find similar equivalents from the Citadel, Valejo or Reaper paint lines.

You can also use Blazing Orange in small proportions to go for that really oxidized rust look.

There are a host of good videos on Youtube for this as well. You should definitely check those out.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »
Try drybrushing orange and brown. It's simple, but it works. For vehicles, use a small-ish torn sponge instead of the brush. Just my two cp.

It does work.

For my plaguehulk, I used a base coat of beastial brown and stippled macharius orange.   I plan on following it up with some devlan mud for depth and dry brushing bolt gun metal in places.