Author Topic: Good tutorials?  (Read 2098 times)

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
Good tutorials?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
Anyone have any good online tutorial they would suggest?

I bought some metal minis for D&D then picked up some practice plastic ones from BG on Saturday.
My daemonettes are not looking that kickass....

Also- do people find it easier to paint the mini in peices or already assembled? .
Me: Mending isn't healing, if Todd's shirt rips I can "mend" it.
Kurt: That's just a racial ability you have.

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
Re: Good tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
You can look at the games workshop site. They usually have tutorials for their products. You can also look at www.dakkadakka.com cuz in their forums they have a great tutorial section. There are also great forums for painting and stuff on www.coolminiornot.com.

I haven't painted any Daemonettes, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Hope all this helps!

skavengear

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »
online tutorials only will take you so far, because its one thing to watch a skilled person do something; and another to actually attempt it yourself.

my advise is to look at paint schemes and find one you like or make up your own variations. then take that and apply primer and a base layer (probablly a light orchid for skin and black for the dress) then keep adding more and more over time to the paint job.

the main thing to learn to painting such small miniatures, is the controlling of your hands and the brush to get that high level of detail. painting while unassembled is highly recommended if you are trying to paint your centerpiece models, but the grunts i would just go with a base layering and a wash, with a few highlights

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
Thanks I will check them out jfoodmaster :)

I was on the game worskshops site, but they were pretty much like, put on color A, then color B, now do armor in color C. There are just so many sites out there and not all of them are that great at explaining things all the time.

skavenknight- I'm not building an army so I don't have any grunts or anything. After I paint everyone they will just get mixed in with all the action figures on a shelf or something. I like online tutorials to get a basic idea of what to do or troubleshooting, I was already scrubbing paint off one last night w/ an old toothbrush, I would prefer to not be doing that all the time :D

Most youtube vids are pretty poor quality, since it's nice to watch someone  paint just to see how they mount the mini and what they use.

skavengear

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
if you are down on saturday again, i will be there and, in very rare moment, be painting up to high detail a model of mine if you want to check it out. this is assuming im done building it...

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
I don't think I will be around on Saturday

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »
Hi Jess,

Until just recently, Tuesday nights at the store have been sort of an "unofficial" painting night. While working to get the new store open I had been unable to show up very often but now that things are rolling down there I intend to come back. I was there this Tuesday but I was the only one there for painting.

Once the painting regulars resume, it's definitely a good night to come down for some in-person tips. Just bring a mini and some paints and brushes. If nothing unexpected comes up I should be there next Tuesday night from 7:30-ish to close.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:43:37 PM by Battleground »
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jess

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
Thanks Derek,

I don't have anything to do on Tuesdays after work so that would be a good night to nag ask for tips :) 

Haight

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
These sites have some very good resources if you want to do a bit of reading on the topic:

www.brushthralls.com  focuses a lot on privateer press models, but the techniques are universally sound.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com   - a smorgeshboard of just incredible painting, lighting, and modeling effects.  Just a warning, some of the models the guy uses as demonstrators are a bit "adult", though nothing graphic.   

Those are definitely my favorites. :)