Author Topic: Endless Nights  (Read 7634 times)

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
In Character Introductions
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
Just out of curiosity, would you like us to introduce our characters IC when we meet on Friday, or would you like us to do it on the msg board?

And if neither, then how'd you like us to do it?  :P
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
Re: Endless Nights
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
Just to prove that I do know how to read the PHB (for my previous post, I just decided to be lazy and not bother) here are the roles and their affiliated classes for easy reference:

Controller: Wizard
Defender (Meat shield): Fighter, Paladin
Leader: Cleric, Warlord
Striker: Ranger, Rogue, Warlock

Personally I have no real preference, so I'll see what direction this thread goes in by late Thurs. and make a character then.

I still have no printer, so if somebody could print some blank character sheets for me that would be great... the back of an envelope I ended up using last time was really annoying.

-Rick
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Re: In Character Introductions
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »
Just out of curiosity, would you like us to introduce our characters IC when we meet on Friday, or would you like us to do it on the msg board?

I think it might be easiest to introduce characters when we get together on Friday.  However, I'm thinking we might make a group template.  What that means is we'll talk about the kinds of characters we'd like to play and make sure they fit in well with one another.

This is just to avoid the kind of situation where a chaotic evil fighter ends up butting heads with the lawful good paladin by the end of the first adventure.  Honestly, our group has been together long enough that I think we all understand the basic nature of the game and know what to expect from each other.

One other thing the group template often includes and I think I might try and use:  each character in the group needs to have some connection to at least one other character.  Maybe he owes you money, maybe you're old soldier buddies, or maybe you're blood relatives.  Rather than having a group of total strangers coming together and being friendly just because they're PCs, the group has a little built in cohesion.

Don't worry about this sort of thing too much though.  We can talk it over on Friday.   :D

I still have no printer, so if somebody could print some blank character sheets for me that would be great... the back of an envelope I ended up using last time was really annoying.

I'll do my best to have more than a few on hand.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 11:57:08 PM »

One other thing the group template often includes and I think I might try and use:  each character in the group needs to have some connection to at least one other character.  Maybe he owes you money, maybe you're old soldier buddies, or maybe you're blood relatives.  Rather than having a group of total strangers coming together and being friendly just because they're PCs, the group has a little built in cohesion.

Are you saying we should have a relationship with one other PC or an NPC (like in my campaign)?

Just want to be clear...

Warhammer 40,000

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 12:12:03 PM »

Are you saying we should have a relationship with one other PC or an NPC (like in my campaign)?

Just want to be clear...

I'd like you to have some connection to another PC.

You can have as many connections to NPCs as you'd like.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »
I'd just like to say I'll be making a supreme effort to get to the store before 7:00 PM (Hopefully I can get there around 6:15ish).  Anyone who wants to make their character in store (like Rick) can come on down and tinker with me.

jbkilroy

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
No problem.
I come straight from work, so I usually get there before 5:30 and hang out until game time anyway.
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

Lykosan

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
I suggest that our entire party is a wandering group of Gnome PUNTERS!!!!!

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
I suggest that our entire party is a wandering group of Gnome PUNTERS!!!!!

I like it... Let's roll with it!

And in regards to Friday, I'll do my best to come in as early as possible.  Friday's one of the few days of the week I have time for the gym, so I'm going to try to run a few miles before our game.

Also, I'm 90% certain I'll be playing a Dragonborn Paladin now.  Hope that helps other ppl's decisions.
~Ben

Warhammer 40,000

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Regional Bonuses?
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »
After looking through some campaign sources for LFR, I came to realize that the regions in that world gave small perks and bonuses, mixed up amongst the various regions.

So I was wondering if you'd be willing to allow a similar effect with the various regions in Auris.  Just throwing the idea out there, but here are a few of the small perks from the difference regions in LFR for example.

Aglarond: Add Elven to list of languages known, Perception to your list of skill choices, and a +1 bonus to all Perception checks.

Akanul: You gain resist 2 cold, resist 2 fire, and resist 2 thunder (or your existing resistance to these damage types increases by 2). At 11th level, these values improve to resist 3 (or increase by 3), and at 21st level, they improve to resist 5 (or increase by 5).

Baldur's Gate: You know one additional language of your choice, you add the Streetwise skill to your class skill list, and you gain a +2 bonus to Streetwise checks.

And so on and so on... You can find the complete list here: http://www.piratesoftheplains.ca/lfr/lfr_main.htm

Let me know what you think, Josh.
~Ben

Warhammer 40,000

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 11:34:18 PM »
One of the many reasons FR is overpowered!

I like the idea of customization that they bring to FR with that region stuff, but it's not something I considered completely balanced in 3.5e.  I might add something like that to my game in the future, but for the moment I'm hesitant to go there.  Gotta get our 4e feet wet first.