Author Topic: New DM.  (Read 3335 times)

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
New DM.
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
Im just starting out actually playing the game but im studying more on the DM aspect of things. I am currently studying from 4ed essentials and plan on DMing encounters. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me.
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

KingElthur

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • The Gate Stormers
Re: New DM.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:01 AM »
You can feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
Ok! Ill keep that in mind, thank you.

filthgrinder

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
I'm not really the best DM, but I did DM the Dark Sun season of D&D Encounters, and run a current campaign, so I'll give my two cents.

I haven't read the Essentials DM book(s) so I'm not sure of the advice given, but the advice in the two Dungeon Master Guides for fourth edition are really good. I think the most important thing to remember is to "Say yes". I struggle with that sometimes myself, but always error on the side of saying yes to a player's idea. If they want to do something crazy/outside of the rules, say yes and try and make it fit (within reason).

If a player is playing a rogue and they want to run at a monster, jump off a table, bounce off the wall, land behind the monster and backstab them, well say yes. Make them make an acrobatics check, and then if successful, maybe skip the opportunity attack, or give them combat advantage for doing something cool.

Another thing to remember is that as a DM you aren't playing against the PCs. Even though you are controlling the monsters in a combat, you aren't playing against your players. Even though it's fun to beat them down, and it's fun to use all the little sneaky tricks and tactics and cool powers monsters have, your role isn't to "win" against the players.

I guess the best advice is to try and make sure everyone, including yourself, is having fun.

As for "technical" tips, I like to refer to people by their character's name for everything in the game, even when calling their initiative and hits in combat. I think it helps people be more in character (I tend to run more hack and slash type games). The initiative tracker I use seems to be popular (not my pic, but I use the samething: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeshea/3452607866/in/set-72157603839139671/)

I got that idea from http://slyflourish.com/, it's a good site with DM tips, that might be helpful as well.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Ok thanx man... that was actually really helpful... im currently reading the essentials DM book and it does mention the "Say Yes" thing but I wasnt sure what it meant but now i do.

Eastie04

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
HAHAHA!!! Thanks Todd!  I am going to start doing so much crazy stuff you cant even believe...and your going to say yes!!!  HAHAHAHA!!!!

-Kurt

KingElthur

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • The Gate Stormers
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:24:59 AM »
What ever you do, don't listen to the elf......

filthgrinder

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
HAHAHA!!! Thanks Todd!  I am going to start doing so much crazy stuff you cant even believe...and your going to say yes!!!  HAHAHAHA!!!!

-Kurt

I say yes to everything... Except extended rests!

skavengear

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
As a player for 7-8 years, I would say these are some of the key things that make for a miserable DM, which next to nobody will want around:

-Not knowing the rules yourself (to a very reasonable extent)
-Playing to TPK or targeting "just your buddy".
-Focusing only/VERY heavily on only roleplaying or only combat.
-Never throwing in skill challenges/non fighting encounters.
-Bringing characters you have played from other games and making them your NPCs
-Being one-minded about how to solve a situation.
-Cheating rolls that don't need to be cheated. (some DMs cheat the save or die spells on the "boss" encounters)
-Being stereotypical. (The "walking down a forest"/"trap door to treasure" is bland, and almost embarassing to have to play. Make your adventures have a plot, not a make your own adventure book by R.L. stine)
-General lack of interest by you or the players (don't beat a game to its death)
-Restricting things too much. (In these modern times, keeping players to the main rulebook is just abysmal to do, when alot of options are out there)
-No structure to the campaign/session/game.
-Sometimes the game itself just sucks. This is not the case with dnd, but you know F.A.T.A.L., lotr rpg, etc some things are better off not being played.

Hope some of these help.

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
As a player for 7-8 years, I would say these are some of the key things that make for a miserable DM, which next to nobody will want around:

-Not knowing the rules yourself (to a very reasonable extent)
-Playing to TPK or targeting "just your buddy".
-Focusing only/VERY heavily on only roleplaying or only combat.
-Never throwing in skill challenges/non fighting encounters.
-Bringing characters you have played from other games and making them your NPCs
-Being one-minded about how to solve a situation.
-Cheating rolls that don't need to be cheated. (some DMs cheat the save or die spells on the "boss" encounters)
-Being stereotypical. (The "walking down a forest"/"trap door to treasure" is bland, and almost embarassing to have to play. Make your adventures have a plot, not a make your own adventure book by R.L. stine)
-General lack of interest by you or the players (don't beat a game to its death)
-Restricting things too much. (In these modern times, keeping players to the main rulebook is just abysmal to do, when alot of options are out there)
-No structure to the campaign/session/game.
-Sometimes the game itself just sucks. This is not the case with dnd, but you know F.A.T.A.L., lotr rpg, etc some things are better off not being played.

Hope some of these help.
Absolutely right man. I've DMd and played as a character in D&D for 5-6 years now and it's really something that you get experience from by jumping in and doing it. You need to have your players give you suggestions on what you could do better and stuff to really get a feel for it. I would suggest also reading the D&D 3.5 ed DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide) and using the tips it offers. I run only 3.5 ed games but I've read the 4th ed DMG 1 & 2 multiple times because they all offer really good tips.

So overall, my advice is to make sure you know the rules first and foremost, and then from there you need to use player suggestions to help you get a feel for the game and such. Make sure you don't aim to kill your party as Todd said. The extremes are "kick in the door" style of play which is basically just fighting encounters or "immersion rpg" which is basically all role-playing; you want an even mix of these two types of games. Remember to have fun with it. It's like you're a player as well, but you just happened to be the evil guy all the time :P
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 03:01:15 AM »
A lot of great tips here and stuff that would help me with my campaigns also. One of the major issues I had run into and maybe this was my group at the time is they were set on doing one thing and one thing only. Becoming more powerful and that was it. They would fight and fight and dungeon delve to try and find more powerful equipment with no regards to role playing whatsoever. As the dungeon master in most cases you want to tell your own story and have fun. If you aren't having fun the game with suffer and you and your players will start having issues. Don't be afraid to set players out of their comfort zone a little they and you might like the results that happen. If you can watch the Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising might seem weird but it shows a lot of the typical stuff you may find in a campaign you run and can give you some ideas to deal with issues you run up across.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
A lot of great tips here and stuff that would help me with my campaigns also. One of the major issues I had run into and maybe this was my group at the time is they were set on doing one thing and one thing only. Becoming more powerful and that was it. They would fight and fight and dungeon delve to try and find more powerful equipment with no regards to role playing whatsoever. As the dungeon master in most cases you want to tell your own story and have fun. If you aren't having fun the game with suffer and you and your players will start having issues. Don't be afraid to set players out of their comfort zone a little they and you might like the results that happen. If you can watch the Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising might seem weird but it shows a lot of the typical stuff you may find in a campaign you run and can give you some ideas to deal with issues you run up across.
Ok thanks for the advice. I actually started DMing encounters at the abington store last week. It was a little rough at first and after a few turns I got the hang of it. I never realised how the much the DM has to do just to keep up with everything. Its a little hard for me now, being new and all, but im sure with time it will get easier.