Author Topic: Play Agricola @ BG?  (Read 8073 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Play Agricola @ BG?
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
I have Agricola (my parents were nice enough to surprise me with a copy).  I don't know how to play, yet, but how about some interested people and I schedule a game for us to learn to play together?

How does Wednesday October 8th sound?

Here's a video review/tutorial of the game made by a fellow librarian.  It should be helpful:
http://wargamingforums.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/agricolavideoreviewbyscott.mp4
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: Play Agricola @ BG?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »
I'm definitely down!
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »
I'd be up for it, definitely.
"Oooh, it looks like the Russians are burning"
   -- Chase

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
Is Agricola on for tonight?  And if so what time about?
   -- Chase

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 02:39:42 PM »
Yes it is.  I intend to be at the store for 7pm.  A word of warning to all.  I don't know how to play the game.  I've watched the video tutorial, see link in above posting, a few times but the written word has eluded me.  My brain has become addled from all the politicking this time of year.

So, I'm hoping we can all learn how to play the game together.  The video tutorial/review makes it seem simple enough but I'm sure it'll be a tad more tougher.  The nuances and killer strategies will likely be elusive.

Anywho, I'll be at the store by 7ish if not before depending on traffic.  Look for the befuddled kid with the game...that'll be me.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »
sounds good to me, i'll be wearing a Battleground t-shirt (same as everyone else I guess) and a motorcycle helmet, unless it's freezing.

See you at 7ish.  D you in?
   -- Chase

-- Winston Churchill

Commissar Grey

• God
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »

Jonathan,
   Thanks for bringing and playing Agricola, that is a great game!  How did the second game play out?  Wouldn't mind playing again.

John

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »
Agreed thanks, it's a darn fun game, considering there's no shooting or swordplay...

Would love to play it again.

-Adrian
   -- Chase

-- Winston Churchill

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:44:59 PM »
The second game played much more easily and was also quicker.  Putting resources on the spaces with the red arrow every turn sent scores through the roof and made things go a lot quicker.

The Occupation and Minor Improvement cards have a lot of great things on them that add another dimension to the game.  I think I'd like to do another game, or two, using the family rules to ensure people are comfortable with the basics before moving on to the more advanced features.  Once that happens using the standard rules seems to be a good idea.

I knew the game would be interesting but it was a lot more fun than I imagined.

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »
Jonathan,

Gonna be around this Wed (10/15) with Agricola?  I'd love to give it another go if some folks are interested.

I'll also maybe bring along Zombies and Panzer Grenadier if anybody'd be up for either of those.

-Adrian
   -- Chase

-- Winston Churchill

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »
This Wednesday I have War at Sea, which you may like to learn, scheduled with a bunch of the guys.  Following, or preceding, that I have a game scheduled with Cookie to play Red Dragon Inn 2 for my first time.  That is the official sequel to Red Dragon Inn, which is a great and quick game to play.

I'll have Agricola with me because it stays in my car.  I also have some other games that may be interesting for to bide time until a slot opens of something else.  I am trying to be at the store tomorrow by 6 but a 7 or 7:30 arrival may be more pragmatic.  Depends on how long I'm at the hospital in the afternoon.

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
Sounds good, I've been wondering if WaS is worth getting into so I would like to check it out, so I'll pop down for a bit at least.
   -- Chase

-- Winston Churchill

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
It is a fun game.  Rick, John, and I have complete sets for the two releases that are out.  Cary, Rick, and John have (or almost have) complete sets for the Axis & Allies Minis aka AAM (that's the land one).  Ben has a lot of AAM and a growing collection of WAS.

I mention this because no matter who else is around when you're at the store there remains a strong possibility that one of them will have all or almost all of the pieces for the game.  That will allow you many choices to pick from.

Anywho, we talk about it at http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?board=26.0 so you may want to post over there.  Plus, a bunch of the guys (basically all but Ben and myself, to a lesser degree) are really psyched about getting into Flames of War (check out http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?board=28.0 for discussions of that).

AND, if you want to see some of the WAS stuff in action you can visit my blog at http://wargamingforums.com/tag/war-at-sea/ for the war at sea stuff.  I haven't updated that in awhile but I have a lot of WAS stuff there including pics, strategies, and so forth.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »
I WILL have Agricola with me when I come down.  If the WAS people are busy doing other things (or don't come) let's play Agricola!

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
Jonathan, I checked out the links you posted, pretty cool stuff!  Now I'm all fired up about WaS (like I can afford another collectible mini game...) and Flames of War.

Ah well at any rate, I'm going to try being a regular on Wed's so you guys can indoctrinate me.  Unfortunately work is beating me up timewise...
   -- Chase

-- Winston Churchill