Author Topic: Striping paint O_o  (Read 10701 times)

buddyzen

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • FIRE-MERCHANT
    • Email
Striping paint O_o
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
hey guys i am wondering what is the best way to strip paint off of plastic models and also metal models it would be great if anyone had any suggestions.

thanks  ;D
www.Fire-merchant.webs.com

"Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Striping paint O_o
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
Plastic - Pine sol.  Leave it in over night, rub it off with a toothbrush the next day.

Metal - High strength acetone (Don't use on plastic!).  Doesn't need to be left in for too long, again use a toothbrush to scrub the paint off.

Of course, don't use that toothbrush afterward.  :D
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »
Pine Sol is pretty good on resin too.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
Really? Resin is pretty porous and I'd imagine a good amount of the pine sol stays in there and may sweat out.

has it worked out well for you?
beep bop boop

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »
Really? Resin is pretty porous and I'd imagine a good amount of the pine sol stays in there and may sweat out.

has it worked out well for you?

It's worked for me.  And I've used it for Armorcast, which means porous TO THE MAX.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:48:46 AM »
Awesome! I tried paint thinner on some rhino doors forever ago and whenever it got hot, my model stripped :(
beep bop boop

Theory

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:53 AM »
Acetone? I think I used that once to strip paint off of poorly painted vespids I got from a friend. The paint came off (mostly) but the vespid legs became very weak and broke. It was hell trying to reglue the legs. How long do I leave them in the acetone for?

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »
Acetone should take the paint off after a few minutes of being covered in it. Scrub the model over with a toothbrush and nearly all the paint should come off. I woudn't reccommend acetone though, but everyone else seems to like it. Pine-sol is defintely the way to go, i've stripped well over 100 models with it, getting at least 90% of the paint off. Get all the models you want to strip. Put them in some container, tupperware or whatever, and fill it up so all of the models are submerged and leave the for at least a day, 24 hours, doesnt really need to be any longer. Then grab a toothbrush and scrub over the whole model. Also get another container full of water, a cup works. Because I can guarantee that after 10 models your brush is going to be covered in paint and grossness, and you'll be rubbing all that over the models, so just rinse off the brush every once in a while.

Also paint thinner, acetone, does work on plastic. Take a toothbrush, dip it into the acetone and brush over the model, then quickly rinse the model off in water. It takes off some pretty thick paint. Wouldn't reccommend it unless you have some really stubborn paint.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:33:25 PM by ghost03 »

Theory

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
gahhh I need help! I tried to strip the models with pinesol but for the first day it soaked, it didnt work, and after soaking for another day its the same thing. The toothbrush makes everything a greenish-black and I cant peel it off. It gets stuff stuck in the cracks and i cant get it out. Anybody know how to fix this or what else to use to get the paint off? this is the only time I dont like my Tau :-P

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »
The greenish-black is paint coming off, you probably have a ton of paint on them thats why you're not getting to the plastic. Theres not much you can do. Try paint thinner as I mentioned. And if you do, im not responsible if you mess up with it...

Theory

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »
crap, oh well atleast  i got a few layers off....
Doesnt paint thinner melt the plastic?

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »
Yep, but only if you leave the paint thinner on the model for too long... like 2 minutes.

Theory

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
so If i dip it in and wash it off right away it should take off all of the paint like it does with metal models?
Thanks

Theory

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »
I also Got some easy off oven cleaner hoping that that might work. I heard it doesnt damage models. I am trying to find the best method for taking paint off. Says to wait two hours but I will keep checking on it every 1/2 hour or so.

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:01:59 AM »
so If i dip it in and wash it off right away it should take off all of the paint like it does with metal models?

-->
Also paint thinner, acetone, does work on plastic. Take a toothbrush, dip it into the acetone and brush over the model, then quickly rinse the model off in water

Dont dip or submerge the model into paint thinner. Also dont pour paint thinner into anything plastic...