Author Topic: Striping paint O_o  (Read 10702 times)

Theory

• Email
Re: Striping paint O_o
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 08:38:25 AM »
okay, thanks.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
It seems people are very happy with Pine Sol but I also like Simple Green.  Safe for the environment and it has worked nicely on plastic, on metal, and even on vintage action figures (I was surprised by the last one and don't recommend it for others).  Can get a large container of it for cheap from Lowes or Home Depot.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Theory

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »
nothing is working...... I even used brush cleaner but that took off the edges and not all of the paint.
Does games workshop make something that strips paint? I have one model soaking in break fluid but it doesnt look like it will work.

ON a related note I got the easy off oven cleaner NO FUME one. That is the whimpy one appearently. There is a regular one which is lye based.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:58:46 PM by Theory »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »
I'm quite surprised about the Pine Sol not working.

You can try Detol (can be found at Super 88 / Kam Man Market even thought it's a Brit product) and if all else fails, nail polish remover.

Theory

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
All of these products get the majority of the paint off, its inside these crevices and lines I cant get the paint out of. This is infuriating. The Brake fluid didnt work, so I got some dot 4 brake fluid to see if that does a better job. Nothing I use has helped. its the same all over the internet. Tau have a lot of crevices, but I didnt think it would be that hard to strip them.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
I don't think you'll find anything that gets all the crevices.  You need to get most of the old paint off and then move on.  Someone who strips more paint than I can attest to this with more authority.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »
I don't think you'll find anything that gets all the crevices.  You need to get most of the old paint off and then move on.  Someone who strips more paint than I can attest to this with more authority.

HE IS RIGHT!

Is that enough authority?

Go get some modeling picks and go to town on the crevices. It sucks but you probably won't get all of it out.  Back when I was lame and ebayed much of my early 40k stuff, I would strip and it was an arduous process.  Metal is best because you can be so harsh with it before it starts to be damaged.  Hell, I only strip hard to get pieces at this point because of all the trouble it can be.

Theory

• Email
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
modeling picks? WHY HAS NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE BEFORE! lol
Thanks. I will.
I just stripped my metal stuff after soaking it in pinesol for two days, it was easier than pie.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »
There are picks designed to work with green stuff.  They look like dentist picks.

Craig

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »
i have heard that an easy way is to run them through your dishwasher.  no shens

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
how do you get the paint off models with plastic and metal parts?

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »
Hi Bryan, if you take a peek at some of the other posts in this thread you'll see recommendations for products that work great on metal and on plastic.  By and large if something is safe on plastic it will be safe on metal.  I know it can be tough to distinguish what the products are when there's several pages of posts in this single thread.

Below you'll find a post I made earlier in this thread.  It gives THUMBS UP for Simple Green.  Works great on plastics and it works on metal.  No product will get all the crevices but with elbow grease and an old toothbrush you'll be able to get 95-98% of the old paint off.  Hope this helps and I'm sure others on here with far more experience than I will have other awesome advice to share with you.  Good luck!

It seems people are very happy with Pine Sol but I also like Simple Green.  Safe for the environment and it has worked nicely on plastic, on metal, and even on vintage action figures (I was surprised by the last one and don't recommend it for others).  Can get a large container of it for cheap from Lowes or Home Depot.

Guu

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
Simple green is also available at Target.  It's a good deal milder (and smells better) than pine sol, so it's generally considered the 'safest' option.  It can take a few days soak to strip a model, but as long as you're not in a hurry...

Pine oil is the active ingredient in both of these solutions.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
I just stripped my plastic terminators with simple green with no damage to the plastic.  I will never use Pine Sol again after how effective simple green was.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:10 AM »
I just stripped my plastic terminators with simple green with no damage to the plastic.  I will never use Pine Sol again after how effective simple green was.

Yay!  This is what I've always used in the past when I would strip paint.  Works great, affordable, and safe for the environment.  Sounds like a triple win to me.  Glad it worked so well for you.