Author Topic: paint stripping question  (Read 3000 times)

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
paint stripping question
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
i know that everyone always says that simple green does the trick. But last time i listened to the internet, i got nurgle gaunts (plastic+break fluid=bad). So as someone who was never big into painting, but wants to change that with a new army, do people think that simple green could strip something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRE-WARRIORS-w-DEVILFISH-Tau-Empire-Warhammer-40k-/320736988354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad6a0cc2
with out ruining it? 

Thanks for any and all help!
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: paint stripping question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
Absolutely, just have to be patient. I have stripped quite a few models with simple green. Just leave it in there till u see the paint wrinkle than hit it with an old toothbrush.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
Thanks a ton! Though i just realized, if i do get tau, i will have gotten the only two hoofed armies in the game...
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Ya Simple Green Works Wonders when I was repainting my Space Marines a while back I bought the undilluted Simple Green from Home depot and let it sit in a Sealed Tupperware container for  about 24-48 hours and just scrubbed it off with an old Toothbrush. I didnt get the Primer off some of them but that might be just because of the primer I used.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
ya i got a land raider with globbed on paint and stripped it down with simple green and a tooth brush.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
I was pensive about Simple Green as well until I tried it last week.  I had got some second hand Space Marines and a Dreadnought which were painted rather poorly, and after 2 nights in the Simple Green, the paint came off very easily.  Sometimes if the toothbrush doesn't work, using a small file with a pointed tip could help as well.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
i use pure acetone and it works great
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Bromeo

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
i use pure acetone and it works great

This is only good for metal models, so heed his advice carefully. Acetone acts as a solvent for plastics if you wanted to know why. Anyways, like everyone says in here, Simple Green is one of the more effective choices for plastic models.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
This is only good for metal models, so heed his advice carefully. Acetone acts as a solvent for plastics if you wanted to know why. Anyways, like everyone says in here, Simple Green is one of the more effective choices for plastic models.

huh ya know now that you say it i dont think i have ever tried to strip a plastic model... between my old warmachine and battletech it never game up
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?