Author Topic: Ultraforge Great Unclean One WIP  (Read 3284 times)

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Ultraforge Great Unclean One WIP
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:46 PM »
working on this guy for the COTEC painting contest, what do you guys think? anything that needs work before i tackle a base for him? and any suggestions on what to do with his feet?

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
Re: Ultraforge Great Unclean One WIP
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
I literally stared at this for half a hour thinking about it. I don't know how much better i could have done but i do think that being the lord of decay he needs more. the green skin needs more discoloration or infectious pus or something. the gaping wounds seem new to me maybe it is the camera because at first it just seemed shiny to me and then i actually saw that color changes. i just think it needs something to stand it out more. However it is done very well.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
I had the same thought as Seth. My suggestion is to darken the areas between the skin and open wounds, really bring out a starker contrast, or that there would be blood (or something!) oozing out. I'm also thinking the skin color needs to be more complex, maybe even simply a brown wash. Fingernails too. Nurgle stuff is difficult to strike an equally appealing and disgusting tone. You're definitely on the right track, and very nearly finished.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
i agree with making the skin more complex. how about instead of a brown wash, i do a bit of purple shading in the darker recesses, like the deep folds in his skin? and then maybe one more highlight to deepen the contrast?

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
that would probably add quite a bit to the model i would also consider around the wounds too.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »
Purple can definitely work, giving the impression of bruising or dark blood or even just an otherworldly hue.

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
glitter.... more glitter.

Great looking so far, i concur that a little purple would def make the skin pop and give that bruised oozing flesh just that much more ick
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »
here's just a touch of purple in the recesses and another highlight on the skin

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely better IMO. I didn't even notice the maggots before, but now they stand out more.

Another unexpected color to consider splashing in is yellow.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
ya the boils also seem to pop more too. i almost think you could add more or like Ben said yellow might add to it. I keep referring to these 2 just to show you sort of in a way. now i wouldn't want it to look like these or even expect it.(it needs to be yours) its just i googled great unclean one images and thought that they looked the best for rot and grossness. their are parts of both that i really like and parts i would have done different. and i don't want to offend you by showing them or even suggest that yours need to be compared or isn't comparable they were just references.
http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics15/img4d10a0079c10a.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XF2k9uiKnh0/TYDwpbqBWZI/AAAAAAAAAPM/Sa-_xJy392U/s1600/DSCF2359.JPG
the first one i don't like the whiteness of the wounds and the second one i don't like what apears to be green circles around the wounds. now i don't know how much better i could have done and i really like the way yours is coming along.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
thanks for all the great feedback guys. i haven't had a chance to get any work done in the last few days but i hope to finish him up soon. i also really like the suggestion for yellow, i'm trying to come up with a mix that will look good when applied. i really don't want to come up with a color i like and then decide i hate it after i've covered the model with it lol. again thanks for the feedback!