Author Topic: Help with painting Cadian shock troops?  (Read 3162 times)

King of the Elves

Help with painting Cadian shock troops?
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
Ok so i am having trouble painting my cadians and now that GW has no more articles up i can not go by that... SO i was wondering if any of you guys could help me  ;). I am going for the basic cadian paint scheme and heres what i have done so far.. entire model basecoated in khemri brown, flesh basecoated in tallern flesh. Armour is painted with catachen green and highlighted with camo green, same with gun. Uniform is just khemri brown with a wash of ogern flesh (i was thinking of highlighting it with desert yellow) and boots are just chaos black. If you guys could help with what you think could make it better that would be a real help. Thanks!

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Help with painting Cadian shock troops?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
GW Washes will make your stuff AWESOME if applied right.

Sepia wash or Devlan mud would make the legs look detailed and pop.

Ogryn flesh wash on the skin will make it pop as well.

Devlan mud or badab black on the armor and gun will pick out all the details.

Simple stuff that will surprise you in how much it makes a difference.

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
I think trooper nailed it. A little wash goes a long way.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
Sorry, I just re-read your post, you are using washes, the next thing you can do is highlight.  You can do real highlighting or you can dry brush which can produce decent enough results.

King of the Elves

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Thanks i just started washng/ detailing my guys and aside from washing the cloth what are some good paints to drybrush it with (i don't know how to highlight).

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
Commando Khaki would be great with it and I believe is the prescribed color from GW.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
Highlighting is actually a simple thing, as I recently discovered. Washes gives your model depth with dark colors; highlighting raises parts of the model with lighter colors.

Simply take a lighter shade and edge the natural lines on your model. The lighter shade can be a couple drops of white in your mix. This sort of painting also requires a tiny brush.

This Space Marines model has clear examples of highlighting. The edges of the shoulder pads, bolter, top of the knees...

You don't have to highlight, but you'll be glad you tried it. It creates a better contrast between colors and gives the appearance that the model is catching light.

King of the Elves

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
thanks guys i will have to try this.