Author Topic: How do we all play Necron Catacomb Command Barges?  (Read 810 times)

andalucien

• God
How do we all play Necron Catacomb Command Barges?
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
This is a repeat from an unanswered question i asked in the Trios tournament thread, so I apologize for the "spam" but i figure it might have more visibility with its own topic.   I think that this rules question basically determines whether I'll be running Catacomb Command barges or not in any tournaments...  it would great if there was an "official Battlegrounds ruling" on this.

Catacomb command barge "flyover attack".  What counts as "flying over"?   Does it follow the rule for Dark Eldar Reavers, where you need to be able to draw a line from the starting position of the barge, through the target, to the ending position of the barge?   Or, can you just fly up to a model so you're overlapping it, then, with the remainder of the barge's movement, go off to the side (or even turn around and fly back to where you started)?

Also, is there an interpretation of this rule that is "the standard"? I'm curious because it seems like everyone loves the Command Barge, but if it works the same way as Dark Eldar flyovers, it would seem almost impossible to use against someone who had ever seen it before.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: How do we all play Necron Catacomb Command Barges?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
The way it has been played in all the recent tournaments and practice games in which I played against necrons is they do not have to do a complete flyover. How the rules judge views it for the store however, I am not sure of his thoughts.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
Thanks for the info about how people have been playing it Bill. 

Yeah it's strange that the Dark Eldar book describes in much more detail what "flying over" means, but the Necron book just says "flying over", like it's obvious.   Strictly RAW, without any other restrictions listed in the rules or FAQ (whereas they ARE listed in the DE book & FAQ), I guess it makes sense not to impose any additional restrictions.   I do wish the Necron FAQ had covered this though.
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:49 PM »
They will eventually. Personally I feel it should work as the reavers but with nothing to back that up I have been going with the flow. Than again, they aren't terribly game breaking to daemons just little gnats so maybe I am bias.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
I'll point Sam in this direction now.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »
I did take a look at this the other day, but wanted to chat with a few people to clarify my thoughts. And then stuff happened, and I didn't. We'll talk it out tonight at Thursday 40k, so I can get some more data points. My gut instinct is to mimic the reaver method, but I'll get some more input before making a final ruling.

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
With 6th edition on the (eventual) way, maybe the Necron 'dex was written with a specific definition of "Flyover" in mind.  After all, like every army is getting some kinda flyer... My vote was also for the "reaver" method, it makes sense as a kind of strafing run way.  But, I don't know 40K very well, so my vote probably shouldn't count.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
I guess this stuck out to me because Reavers are probably my favorite unit in 40k (fun value).  There two main things that make it WAY easier for a Reaver to fly over someone:

- Reaver moves 36" rather than 24"
- Reaver is about 2" long and 3/4" wide, rather than 6" long and 3" wide

andalucien

• God
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Lists for the team tourney are due in 2 days (although it's probably not a hard limit).  Any final word on this guys?

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »
Everyone I've talked to seems to think the Reaver method is reasonable, and I concur. Until it's addressed in an FAQ, we'll go with the straight line method.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
Cool, thanks Sam!