Author Topic: February 11th Arena Event: Dodgeball  (Read 6766 times)

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
February 11th Arena Event: Dodgeball
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
February 11th
DODGEBALL!!

RULES FOR THE ARENA: Orc Shotput Dodgeball

RULEBOOKS:
Pathfinder Core Rulebook. ONLY the Pathfinder Core Rulebook can be used to create a character – NO EXCEPTIONS! Pre-generated characters will be available as options to anyone unable or not interested in creating their own character.
*In this arena, Weapon Focus feat will not be allowed.

LEVEL:
ALL Gladiators much be Level 3.

ABILITY SCORES:
All Gladiators MUST use the High Fantasy rules for 20 Point Buy for their Ability Scores which can be found on pages 15-16 of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

RACES:
Your Gladiator may be any race in the Core Rulebook.

CLASSES:
Participants MUST create a level 3 Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, or Ranger.
NO MULTICLASSING will be allowed for this event.

HIT POINTS:
Determine your maximum possible Hit Points for your character at first level, and then add (+6/barbarian or +5/fighter/ranger or +4/rogue) + CON Bonus for each additional level after the first.

ANIMAL COMPANIONS:
Not allowed. This includes the purchasing of animals from the "Equipment" section like horses or dogs.

ALIGNMENT
Any.

EQUIPMENT:
Each character begins with 200 gp with which to buy items from the Core Rule Book Equipment section.  Absolutely NO magic items, NO weapons and NO shields will be allowed for this event.

HOW THE BATTLE WILL WORK:

THE ORC SHOTPUT:
The Orc Shotput’s will be placed at the center line of the battlefield.  The shotput is a magical item for this event.  There will be 1 Orc Shotput per player.  It has a range of 30 feet with a damage of 2d6+1 and a critical range of 19-20/x3. 

Special Event Rules:
A team captain will be randomly rolled a they will pick their gladiator dodgeball team.

The court wizard has been ordered to fire upon any gladiator who cross’s the fields center line as this is a penalty and considered cheating. 

The Crit Hit Deck will be in effect for this event for dramatic flair.

The remaining people on the winning team receive the court rewards. (Battleground store credit)

INITIATIVE & DELAY:
Initiative will be determined and the battle will ensue. All gladiators are expected to immediately move toward another gladiator and begin their attack, or use a missile weapon to do so. The crowd watching the fight dislikes it when gladiators stall or stay out of the fray, and their mood can have a strong influence on the success or failure of a gladiator’s performance. Each round that a gladiator does not make an attack against another gladiator will result in an adjustment on the sliding performance scale.

1st Round without making an attack: Crowd takes notice and shouts a few jeers. Combatant takes a -1 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

2nd Round without making an attack: Crowd begins to shout and taunt the stalling gladiator. Combatant takes a -2 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

3rd Round without making an attack: Crowd becomes very hostile and chants relentlessly about the gladiator’s cowardice and begins to throw rotten vegetables (purchased by conveniently located vendors) at the gladiator. Combatant takes a -4 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

4th Round without making an attack: Crowd is enraged. The emperor’s court wizards, in order to maintain order in the stands, begins to fire magic missiles at the stalling gladiator. Subsequent rounds will continue with these penalties in place.

Gladiators must work their way back up the ladder in order to remove accrued penalties.

Conversely, gladiators who show great bravado will be rewarded in similar ways.

Every time an opponent is slain in the arena, the gladiator dealing the killing blow will receive a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws (if a gladiator is in the negatives when he receives this bonus it brings him up one further on the scale). This bonus will remain for as long as the gladiator continues to relentlessly assault his opponents. If at any time the gladiator fails to attack an opponent in a given round the bonus will be affected as noted above.

A gladiator that delivers a critical hit also gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

A gladiator cannot under any circumstances accrue a bonus higher than +3 in this way.

EXPECT THE REFEREE TO MAKE ON THE SPOT JUDGEMENTS TO DETERMINE IF A GLADIATOR IS GUILTY OF DELAY INFRACTIONS!
...and I killed a guy with a trident!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: February 11th Arena Event: Dodgeball
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
This looks like fun.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
This event will be awesome.  Cale and I are trying hard to make sure each event is unique in some way so people can have a blast.

King of the Elves

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
So... can you have wepons (like bows and such) or are you just going to have the shotput and some armour. And you have 1 shotput per player after you throw it what happens? Does another one just appear or do you have to go and pick up one that one that has been thrown?  Thanks

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »
So... can you have wepons (like bows and such) or are you just going to have the shotput and some armour. And you have 1 shotput per player after you throw it what happens? Does another one just appear or do you have to go and pick up one that one that has been thrown?  Thanks

No weapons and no shields are allowed for this event.  Your only weapons are the Orc Shotputs and your wits!  As far as the properties of the dodgeball, once it is thrown, find a new one on the ground, go get it, pick it up and throw it again. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
So they do not return to the user like other magical projectiles?  Or maybe that's just a 4e thing...

Is there a limit to the number of shot puts I can carry?

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:04 PM »
So they do not return to the user like other magical projectiles?  Or maybe that's just a 4e thing...

Is there a limit to the number of shot puts I can carry?

We have the the Orc Shotputs magical in order to increase their range.  They do not return to the user. 
A gladiator can hold 1 shotput at a time.  Shotputs are heavy weapons.  Your are essentially throwing a cannon ball. 

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
Are Ed and Derek the captains?
Tiger's Den founding member

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
Are Ed and Derek the captains?

As stated in the special rules for the event, the captain of each team will be randomly rolled for. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »
Awasome this time i'll make sure to have more than 20 Hit Points   ::) & hey Chase you coming to this?

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »
I get it Derek vs Ed is pay per view. Guess I'll smash face in someone elses honor. How does the prize split? Is there an MVP or is it an even spread to all? Aka a 50% chance of getting your money back?
Tiger's Den founding member

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
I get it Derek vs Ed is pay per view. Guess I'll smash face in someone elses honor. How does the prize split? Is there an MVP or is it an even spread to all? Aka a 50% chance of getting your money back?

Lol, Derek vs Ed on pay per view? You would have to take that up with Derek.  I believe he will b busy running other stuff but can't hurt to ask. 
The prizes will go to the last standing gladiators on the winning team.  There will be bragging right titles awarded to gladiators as well which will be announced the day of the event.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I figured I'd ask a question for clarification.

Since you can't cross the center line, do the delay penalties only come into play if you have a shotput and haven't thrown it?

Or would they accumulate while you don't have one and are moving towards a shotput or are otherwise unable to attack the other team?
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
Good question, Steve.

It's been forever since I've played 3.x D&D.  What sort of action is it to pick up a shot put?

If I move towards one and pick it up my turn might be over.  Do I accrue a penalty?

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Good question, Steve.

It's been forever since I've played 3.x D&D.  What sort of action is it to pick up a shot put?

If I move towards one and pick it up my turn might be over.  Do I accrue a penalty?

It IS a move action to pick up an item, shot put or otherwise.

I think it's fair to say all players will have a 1 round "grace period" before penalties start to stack up.

To comment on what Steve was asking, I feel that if a Gladiator is making every attempt to move to a new shot put in order to make an attack, they will not accrue a penalty (since they are making every effort to attack and participate in the event as intended). I don't want to be too lenient about the penalties, nor too strict.  With that said I think that it's better to be more strict, as to not reward defensive play.

If you are acting in such a way as to throw as many shot puts as possible, it is VERY likely you will never accrue any penalties during the event. This is intended to be a fast pace event, where Gladiators should be constantly throwing shot puts, or moving to pick another up.

Hope that clears everything up guys,
-Cale

"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax