Author Topic: Arena Event: Trapped Death Match (prepare for anything)  (Read 4504 times)

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
Arena Event: Trapped Death Match (prepare for anything)
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
March 10th
TRAPPED DEATH MATCH

RULES FOR THE ARENA: Trapped Death Match

RULEBOOKS:
Pathfinder Core Rulebook. ONLY the Pathfinder Core Rulebook can be used to create a character – NO EXCEPTIONS! Pre-generated characters will be available as options to anyone unable or not interested in creating their own character.

LEVEL:
ALL Gladiators much be Level 3.

ABILITY SCORES:
All Gladiators MUST use the High Fantasy rules for 20 Point Buy for their Ability Scores which can be found on pages 15-16 of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

RACES:
Your Gladiator may be any race in the Core Rulebook.

CLASSES:
Participants MUST create a level 3 Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, or Ranger.
NO MULTICLASSING will be allowed for this event.

HIT POINTS:
Determine your maximum possible Hit Points for your character at first level, and then add (+6/barbarian or +5/fighter/ranger or +4/rogue) + CON Bonus for each additional level after the first.

ANIMAL COMPANIONS:
Not allowed. This includes the purchasing of animals from the "Equipment" section like horses or dogs.

ALIGNMENT
Any.

EQUIPMENT:
Each character begins with 200 gp with which to buy items from the Core Rule Book Equipment section.  Absolutely NO magic items.

HOW THE BATTLE WILL WORK:
All Gladiators will be placed around the approximately 4’ x 6’ arena at Battleground.

Special Event Rules:
The Arena will be littered with traps in which the participants will most certainly trigger some of. These traps could be anything from a fireball, pitfall, trip wire, basically anything.
Other more intricate traps could involve triggering a beast which attacks all Gladiators at random.

There will also be the chance of triggering some sort of beneficial trap that could aid the Gladiator who triggers it. This could be a weapon, magical buff, or healing spell, basically anything within reason.

Perception/Disable Device Check DC's will vary depending on the difficulty level of each trap.

An active Perception check is a Standard Action.

The Crit Hit deck will be in effect for this event for dramatic flair.
The remaining people on the winning team receive the court rewards. (Battleground store credit)

INITIATIVE & DELAY:
Initiative will be determined and the battle will ensue. All gladiators are expected to immediately move toward another gladiator and begin their attack, or use a missile weapon to do so. The crowd watching the fight dislikes it when gladiators stall or stay out of the fray, and their mood can have a strong influence on the success or failure of a gladiator’s performance. Each round that a gladiator does not make an attack against another gladiator will result in an adjustment on the sliding performance scale.

1st Round without making an attack: Crowd takes notice and shouts a few jeers. Combatant takes a -1 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

2nd Round without making an attack: Crowd begins to shout and taunt the stalling gladiator. Combatant takes a -2 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

3rd Round without making an attack: Crowd becomes very hostile and chants relentlessly about the gladiator’s cowardice and begins to throw rotten vegetables (purchased by conveniently located vendors) at the gladiator. Combatant takes a -4 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

4th Round without making an attack: Crowd is enraged. The emperor’s court wizards, in order to maintain order in the stands, begins to fire magic missiles at the stalling gladiator. Subsequent rounds will continue with these penalties in place.

Gladiators must work their way back up the ladder in order to remove accrued penalties.

Conversely, gladiators who show great bravado will be rewarded in similar ways.

Every time an opponent is slain in the arena, the gladiator dealing the killing blow will receive a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws (if a gladiator is in the negatives when he receives this bonus it brings him up one further on the scale). This bonus will remain for as long as the gladiator continues to relentlessly assault his opponents. If at any time the gladiator fails to attack an opponent in a given round the bonus will be affected as noted above.

A gladiator that delivers a critical hit also gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

A gladiator cannot under any circumstances accrue a bonus higher than +3 in this way.

EXPECT THE REFEREE TO MAKE ON THE SPOT JUDGEMENTS TO DETERMINE IF A GLADIATOR IS GUILTY OF DELAY INFRACTIONS!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:07:36 PM by Cale »
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

Ambush

Re: Arena Event: Trapped Death Match (prepare for anything)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
Will the number of teams depend on the number of entries? Or just two teams? Randomly assigned, I'm assuming...

King of the Elves

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:38 AM »
there are teams??  :P

Ambush

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »
I kind of assumed, given the comment about the teamwork feats...

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
This will be a free for all event.

I modified the Original Post to get rid of the teamwork feats.  The copy/paste to save myself some time ended up biting me in the butt it seems.

Sorry for the confusion.
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
This event is gonna be legendary!!
...and I killed a guy with a trident!

King of the Elves

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »
I hope i can make it.

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen....

This arena event had 10 contestants take up the challenge for the fight for survival.  

Alan Lucas
Zack Lucas
Ben Parrish
Jeff Pauloff
Nathan Morgan
Brian Luscombe
RAB
Tyson
Bill Taylor
Dylan O'Brien

The Most Damage Dealt goes to Tyson for 18 points of damage in a single attack.

The Best Kill goes to Brian with a crit hit on Ben and made his gladiator bleed to his death.

The Most Dramatic Death goes to Jeff for the unfortunate timing of having died in the 2nd round.  Let it be known, his fall was a true gladiator's death.  It took max damage from multiple hits to take this gladiator down.

The Most Epic Moment goes to Alan's gladiator for throwing his short spear 80' (which is not easy) and hit his target deal max damage twice and killing his enemy.

'Til next time....blood, death and vengeance.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:59:02 PM by Battleground »
...and I killed a guy with a trident!

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
But you forgot the most important part... who won?  ;D
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
But you forgot the most important part... who won?  ;D

Brian won with 3 HP left, i (Dylan) came in second, and Alan came in third. I went from 28 HP to 0 in 2 turns, stupid lightning bolt.

Ambush

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
I got tooled by a tiger, which I damn near killed...

King of the Elves

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
Can we play in this arena again? It would be "Trapped Death Match 2: The arena's revenge!"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »
These NEED to get more love on Facebook.

They seem like so much fun.  I have no idea why they're not huge events.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

King of the Elves

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
These NEED to get more love on Facebook.

They seem like so much fun.  I have no idea why they're not huge events.

I would have to agree, they are so much fun and when more people show up it makes for more fun and bigger prizes! Like take for example this arena, 10 people showed up and it was amazing! So in short I agree with Chase that this needs to be on FB more!