Author Topic: Modeling night?  (Read 20697 times)

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Trees
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »
If purchasing trees Minuteman is a good way to go.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Modeling night?
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »
I'm going there tonight.

To be honest, I was planning on seeing what they had and donating them to the store anyway.  I have used BG's terrain in the past and since I can't donate the time, I'll donate trees.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »
Rich is a saint.
beep bop boop

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
It's the least I can do now that you guys showed me a modelling place down the street from my place.  :P  Hell, now I don't have to brave Cambridge or Fenway for the stuff I need.  You have no idea how much this makes me happy.  After hobby town closed I felt lost and confused....

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Tree Stuff
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
BTW I agree with the Minuteman Hobbies point. It would be nice to support another local store so if we need either Woodland Scenics supplies (armatures etc.) or completed trees I suggest using them. They will order whatever we need if it is not in stock.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
I just got back from Minuteman Hobby.  He is a good guy, a Mopar guy.  ;D

I picked up the Woodland Scenics "Learning Kit Trees LK953" it said "You can do it!" and I believe them!  So I'll see how these are and go from there.

He also had a wide selection of premade trees.  Good stuff. What kind of trees are we lookng for?

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »
I'll be in the store tomorrow night to play War at Sea.  If you're there I'd love to see what he kit looks like.

I read a lot about Woodland Scenics in Model Railroader Magazine (a great mag for terrain) and would love to see what the kit looks like.  I could be wrong but I think inasmuch as trees are generally wanted that the Warmachine gang are of dire need.  Should ask them (i.e. Ian and Matt).
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »
This is Deric's money we are talking about and pre-built trees aren't exactly a 'terrain club' activity as they only need to be glued to bases and flocked. If Deric wants to do that one of us can do it all in a couple hours max.

I assumed the main point of a terrain club was making quality terrian for the store, not happy social hour. Also wouldn't being able to do it in a couple of hours be a good thing that means you can finish the trees and get something else worked on. Who wants to make trees for countless hours anyway?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
As a side note:

Depending on how crappy it is to make our own trees, it's about 14 bucks for a kit with enough armatures to make 18 trees both deciduous and pine.

How many trees do we need and I assume we will be having trees seperate from the mats that define area terrain?

Jonathan, what time would you be at BG until?  I have class tomorrow night until 10.

Commissar Grey

• God
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »

I have some woods I made YEARS ago with metal and plastic armature trees.  The metal ones have more realistic details, but the plastics were cheaper.  They came out pretty good and are based on hardboard for "woods" terrain.  I can bring them with me the next time I plan to be at BG if you're interested.

John

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
As a side note:

Depending on how crappy it is to make our own trees, it's about 14 bucks for a kit with enough armatures to make 18 trees both deciduous and pine.

How many trees do we need and I assume we will be having trees seperate from the mats that define area terrain?

Jonathan, what time would you be at BG until?  I have class tomorrow night until 10.

I should be there pretty late but don't make a special trip just for me.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

ghost03

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »
Just an idea, but i was thinking it would be more sensible to map out an idea for a table, yes a 6x4 table, (you dont even have to make it) then make enough terrain suitable for said table. That way the terrain blends into a sensible array of a table instead of a miss matched bunch of terrain.

Also things might go a lot smoother if people had some direction into which they made terrain instead of everyone going their own way. Thats why I proposed to come up with a main theme or idea. 

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »
The theory is that Steve D. would organize the terrain sessions. Yes consistent terrain makes sense, but so does hitting the easiest, most common items first.

We need far more terrain that one 4x6 table. It makes more sense in my opinion to figure out what terrain you are making (being consistent in theme when appropriate) ex. trees. Then make enough for several tables and some extras so the store has what it needs for multiple games.

Do the common items like trees, forest templates, raised hills, rough terrain, etc. first then worry about themed items that only fit a limited number of games.

Honestly this entire thread is pretty much BS until someone (Steve said he would) steps up and organizes the club/night, AND a number of people commit to consistent participation.
Until that happens this is all just collective BS.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
Honestly this entire thread is pretty much BS until someone (Steve said he would) steps up and organizes the club/night, AND a number of people commit to consistent participation.
Until that happens this is all just collective BS.

Your honesty is sobering.  I like it!  I believe the onus is on Steve D to set the pace.

So, Steve what's the plan?

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2008, 02:35:52 AM »
Well.... its hard to say. My schedual is fluxuating again. The only day I can 100% Guarantee i have off is Saturdays and I dont mind working by myself saturday mornings. The point here is to get terrain made for the store not social lets paint time and it turns into nothing.