Author Topic: Modeling night?  (Read 20678 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: Modeling night?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
I am a quick study when it comes to techniqe. Any way if Friday or Saturday is used FNM doesnt take up the back room so maybe the club could gather there? I really want to get some more terrain made up but my scedual is very restricting since I work so much.  :(

Fridays, after say 6 PM, are just sort of a terrible night for a terrain club to meet at the store. Friday Night Magic can totally consume the store (including the back room and the front tables). I do not want to see the modeling group try to compete for this space. Additionally, I would never be able to participate, as this is always my night to run the tournament and the store.

Saturdays are also a tricky day. The main problem is that I will hardly ever be able to attend, as I am usually away from the store. A lesser problem is that Saturday, not surprisingly, is also a day that can be a fierce competition for space - not a good day for a group of people to spread out to talk about and/or work on terrain.

On the other hand, if Saturday would be the only day a person could participate in a terrain club, that person could still contribute to whatever projects are currently being worked upon by the group. For example, if we were building hills or trees, you could come in and work on your own to help complete the project.

Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays would be the best days of the week to meet and work on projects as a group. Tuesday nights create some space competition because of D&D minis but nothing we couldn't handle. Also, I am always here that night, and since there doesn't seem to be anyone else able to commit to a weekly or bi-weekly schedule as a club leader, it should probably fall on a night that I am consistently present.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 03:16:12 PM »
Roger.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »
Im going to see if I cant get every tuesday as a mid shift getting me off work around 8 maybe earlier.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »
Im going to see if I cant get every tuesday as a mid shift getting me off work around 8 maybe earlier.

That'd be sweet for you.  But, don't forget about needing a Thursday mid-shift off coming up soon for D&D.

Anyone else able to come on Tuesdays?  Unfortunately that's one of two days that never work for me.  The other is, invariably, Saturday.  :(

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
Currently, Tuesdays and Thursdays are my free nights during the week.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
I've been working on some pieces for my table at home. While I have the stuff out, I'll pump out a few extras of whatever I make and donate them to the store. They're designed with Warmachine in mind, but should be fine for other games, too.

Unfortunately, I'm not really interested in a terrain club. I find I don't work well with others on creative projects.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:39:24 AM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »
Thats a bit tougher for beginners, plus the terrain isnt moveable a static table is not much fun. Its easy to make non static terrain for example a Chaos gate.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
Warpedfuzz: That table looks pretty sweet and I like it a lot.  But, I theoretically have a problem with terrain clubs making tables instead of terrain pieces.  A table, while nice, is finite as Steve D stated.  Terrain pieces are modular, usually, and long lasting.  No matter what the table is the terrain piece can be used.

I know that a table will need to be made for the 40k Mega Battle and a terrain club, should it exist, will be heavily involved in the making of that table.  But how does this sound...inventory all the terrain pieces the store has.  See what ones need to be replaced, need to be repaired, and need to be destroyed.

Repair the damaged, replace the destroyed, and after that is done brainstorm ideas for what terrain pieces are missing.  Then make the missing pieces.  Talk with the main gamers for the major games.  Talk with Ian for Warmachine.  Talk to the slew of 40k kids.  Talk to John for War at Sea.  Talk to Sims for BFG and etc.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
You can just talk to me for no reason as well.  I enjoy talking to people.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 01:03:56 AM »
You can just talk to me for no reason as well.  I enjoy talking to people.

LOL.  I saw this and for a second thought "is this the Hey Cookie thread"?  I am now amending my previous post to say "Talk to Sims."  Better?  :P

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
If this is going to go anywhere someone needs to volunteer to be in charge of it. I think that was made clear at the beginning. The requirements are:

1. Knowledge of terrain making
2. Able to dedicate to consistently showing up.

So far as I know, nobody here has been able to meet that which is why we do not already have a terrain night.

So unless someone wants to volunteer I think discussing what to build is more than a bit premature.

As for myself, I have some terrain I would like to build and donate but I am with Ian in that I will be doing it on my own, with my own schedule and then bringing it in.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
So unless someone wants to volunteer I think discussing what to build is more than a bit premature.

I concur, to a degree, but note the below (not that I think this should fall onto Derek's shoulders alone).  I agree that if someone else with the skills and the time is willing that they should head this up.  If I had both of those I'd gladly do that.  I'll hold off on my daydreaming until something more concrete is established.

Also, I am always here that night, and since there doesn't seem to be anyone else able to commit to a weekly or bi-weekly schedule as a club leader, it should probably fall on a night that I am consistently present.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »
I already stepped up to volunteer. I just need blue prints of sorta and i can build it.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
I already stepped up to volunteer. I just need blue prints of sorta and i can build it.
Did you manage to get Tuesday nights off?