Author Topic: Modeling night?  (Read 20685 times)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Modeling night?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »
I agree that table posted in the link looks like it would be a fantastic piece.  I do not think it should be an entire table though.  In pure game terms I think its a little open.  But if it was a little smaller it could be a nice add in, a ruined temple of some kind. 

but I see what everyone is saying about working on pieces not whole boards. 

Steelwing13

• Epic Tier Level 26
  • Freedom is the right of all sentient Beings
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
All right, enough lurking for me, I can help with layouts and designs with my drafting skills and CAD programs. If you want actual plans for structures, tables and such with both precise measurements and/or guesstimates I am your man.  I really want to see some more pieces myself, and since I am planning to be playing Star Wars Minis on a table rather than a map I am interested in seeing more sci-fi terrain and compartments that could be linked together almost like dwarven forges items to make dungeons, ships, castles, ruined cities.  If this sounds good to everyone I can probably commit to the first and third Tuesdays of every month starting in November(after my wedding).  I will try to pop in when I can prior to that.  Some one let me know when you plan to start this effort and count me in. ;D

May The Force Be With You!
"I sense much Anger in you, Bow to the Dark Side and become my apprentice."

Hierophant

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Gaming since 1978
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
My next money sink is probably going to be Warhammer Fantasy, so I'll want terrain available for that, I'd be willing to help when I can.  My problems are I usually play in the D&D tournament Tuesdays and my painting and modelling skills will probably relegate me to the role of pizza runner and art critic  :P

-Adrian
"Oooh, it looks like the Russians are burning"
   -- Chase

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
     -- Winston Churchill

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
My next money sink is probably going to be Warhammer Fantasy, so I'll want terrain available for that, I'd be willing to help when I can.  My problems are I usually play in the D&D tournament Tuesdays and my painting and modelling skills will probably relegate me to the role of pizza runner and art critic  :P

-Adrian

Everybody has their place. ;)
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 02:41:25 AM »
So far I may have tuesday nights free now but its not written in stone and it may not be EVERY tuesday night. Oh teh difficulties of the hospitality buisness.

Steelwing13

• Epic Tier Level 26
  • Freedom is the right of all sentient Beings
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »
I may as well get started myself, what kind of terrain would you like me to draw up, I am interested in some buildings that can be layed out floor by floor or stacked to make a taller structure. Just through me some feed back and I'll start drawing and estimate a materials list.  Also who is capable of what particular talents, ie: molding, sculpting, carving, painting, anything else I have not thought of.
"I sense much Anger in you, Bow to the Dark Side and become my apprentice."

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Needed Terrain
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
I think the first thing the store actually NEEDS is new trees.
Derek will need to get the supplies. But I think that is one of the top priorities for new terrain.

A nice way to store the trees would also be good. Some ideas are:
Magnets in the bases and stick them to a metal sheet (cookie sheet).
Cut out some pink insulation and make stackable trays of trees.

I am willing to work on these if other people want to work on other things.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
Very true.  We are hurting for trees.  I'll look into the rubber mats that trees are residing on.

Wait...

Are you going to do the individual trees or bases with a "forest" on them?  I find the rubber mats that vaguely resemble fake puke work great for forrest bases as the trees are completely seperate.

Do you know what I mean?

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Personally I prefer the individual trees (currently many are on medium GW bases) with a variety of things to place them on. They can be used with rubber mats, press board cutouts, layered hills, felt, etc.
For bases I like the layered hills, and wood cutouts because they take the same flocking as the tree bases so they make for a seamless look.

I think that makes for the most versatile terrain.

It would be nice to see the rim of the GW base get 'flocked' as well as the top. That would make the trees blend in very well with the base of the forest.

We could also use another table that is NOT a lava theme. Perhaps the back side of an existing one.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
Awhile back I compiled and shared a cook book, so to speak, of how to easily make trees the ways the experts do in model railroading.  I gave that to Derek and hope he still has it.

I found it from Model Railroader magazine when they did a big push on terrain making.  Model railroading terrain techniques are very useful, as you know, to gamers.  I'd suggest looking at that before deciding how to go about doing trees.

You can see the pdf here: http://wargamingforums.com/downloads/makingtrees.pdf
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »
I encourage all interested in making terrain to check out terragenesis.co.uk
beep bop boop

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Yeah that's a great site.  Kudos for remembering it and reminding me about its existence.  Thanks!

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
With tress you have to keep in mind the way GW also uses them. True line of site applies when it comes to forest features so they would have to be alot of trees to block models that are "hidding" in a forest. Warmachine and Hordes players dont have that problem.

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 01:32:26 AM »
With tress you have to keep in mind the way GW also uses them. True line of site applies when it comes to forest features so they would have to be alot of trees to block models that are "hidding" in a forest. Warmachine and Hordes players dont have that problem.

There could be two types of trees.  Those appropriate for Warmachine and those for GW.  I know there's an overlap but people who play the respective games would know better than I.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Trees
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Right now as I understand it the 40K rules are a bit broken.
Someone more familiar with the game might be able to determine what is needed for 40K forests to work properly.

As for the model train paper I am not sure we need that level of detail. Pine cones  might be going a little far for terrain that is handled regularly but it is a neat article.

Ian, thanks for the link. That looks like a great resource.