Author Topic: Hand Painting Vehicles  (Read 2081 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Hand Painting Vehicles
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »
Because I can't Afford to buy an Airbrush atm I wanted to know if anyone else has painted Vehicles by hand and how large a Brush you use. Right now I am using the Citadel Basecoat Brush to paint on my drop pods and wondering if I could use a larger brush without adverse effects to my painting. Thanks for any info.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

King of the Elves

Re: Hand Painting Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:25:49 AM »
for my mech guard i use the large army painter brush and it works really good

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
I've painted lots of vehicles by hand before my airbrush. Make sure you use a brush with soft bristles and make sure the paint has a nice consistency. With both of those taken care of, you can have a nice coat of paint with minimal brushstrokes.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
+1 to what Sean (jfoodmaster) said.  In my experience with hand painting vehicles, keep the paint thin (use at least a 1:1 ratio of paint to water), and be sure to get all the little nooks and crevices on the vehicle that tend to be less obvious.  Give the base coat enough time to dry, and then retouch the places you might've missed.  In all honesty, it won't take a lot longer to paint them by hand, since most only use an air brush for basecoating.  The detail work is usually always done by hand.  In the end, you'd probably only save about 5 minutes per vehicle.

Good luck!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
Ya I was doing Drop Pods yesterday I was giving them 3 coats of paint before I was satisfied with them. Today I got myself a larger brush hopefully it speeds up the process a little but I like how they are turning out so far.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
I've painted every vehicle I own by hand (Even that Skullhamma at the Megabattle last year)

and yes, just water down your paints more than usual for the basecoat and you'll be fine (brush size doesnt matter to me, it just depends on how much time you want to spend painting, I painted my first dreadnought with a medium-sized brush :P )

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »

My Progress so Far on them I like how they are coming. Nowhere close to being done need more Pizza Rolls to keep my energy up.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »
wow I did my pods after assembly was said with and done. Nice way to stick to your guns.

King of the Elves

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
I like it! Good job!